How to find the derivative of x2 + y2 = 36?

In summary, we discussed two methods for finding the derivative of x2 + y2 = 36, which represents a circle with radius 6. The first method involved solving for y and then differentiating, while the second method used implicit differentiation. Both methods result in the derivative of y in terms of x and y, which may be expressed in different forms depending on the question.
sonofjohn
How would I go about finding the derivative of x2 + y2 = 36.

I know it is a circle with radius 6. Is there a better way to find the derivative then:

y2 = 36 - x2
y = (36 - x2)1/2
y = 1/2(36 - x2)-1/2(-2x)
y' = -x/(36-x2)1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually with cases like this where it is inconvenient to differentiate explicitly you can use implicit differentiation.

Another way is implicit differentiation:

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 36[/tex]

[tex]2x + 2y \frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{x}{y} = -\frac{x}{\sqrt{36 - x^2}}[/tex]

Are you familiar with implicit differentiation?

You may use implicit differentiation. If f(x) = g(x), then f'(x) = g'(x). Therefore, we can have f(x) = x2 + y(x)2 (where I have written y explicitly as a function of x) and g(x) = 36.

Hence, we can differentiate both sides with respect to x without isolating y. Differentiating the left hand side, we get 2x + 2yy' using the chain rule. On the right hand side, differentiation 36, a constant function, just gives us 0.

We can then solve for y': 2x + 2yy' = 0 so y' = -x/y. Notice that we have y' in terms of both x and y(x) instead of just in x; this is a hallmark of implicit differentiation. If you solve for y in terms of x and plug it in, you find that

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-x}{\pm\sqrt{36-x^2}}[/tex]​

depending on whether y was positive or negative. This is a more complete version of the answer you found by solving for y first.

Implicit differentiation. I have learned it, but obviously need to make more use of it. Thank you kind sirs.

On a second note, would it be better to leave the final answer in terms of x and y. Or should I solve for y and find y' in terms of x only. I prefer x/y but if the question asks for y' how should I answer?

1: You titled this "differentiation of a circle" which makes no sense. You cannot differentiate a geometric figure!

2: You then wrote "find the derivative of x2 + y2 = 36" which also makes no sense. You can differentiate (both sides of) an equation but you have to specify with respect to what variable.

3: Everyone here has assumed you really meant "find the derivative of y with respect to x, assuming that x2+ y2= 36".

HallsofIvy said:
1: You titled this "differentiation of a circle" which makes no sense. You cannot differentiate a geometric figure!

2: You then wrote "find the derivative of x2 + y2 = 36" which also makes no sense. You can differentiate (both sides of) an equation but you have to specify with respect to what variable.

3: Everyone here has assumed you really meant "find the derivative of y with respect to x, assuming that x2+ y2= 36".

Sorry for the mix up. Yes I meant solve for dy/dx.

1. What is the formula for finding the circumference of a circle?

The formula for finding the circumference of a circle is C = 2πr, where C is the circumference and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do you find the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the difference between a diameter and a radius?

The diameter of a circle is a straight line that passes through the center of the circle and touches two points on the circumference, while the radius is the distance from the center of the circle to the circumference.

4. Can a circle have a negative radius?

No, a circle cannot have a negative radius as it represents a distance which cannot be negative.

5. How do you differentiate a circle?

To differentiate a circle, you can find the derivative of the equation for the circle. This will give you the slope of the tangent line at any point on the circle, which can help you find the rate of change of the circle's circumference or area.