1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating an Integral

1. Jun 24, 2007 #1
    Hi, everyone, I'm new here and don't know how to type mathematics, but I have a scanner.

I have a function L_A and it is an integral. I want to differentiate this function with respect to A. I already have the answer written but what I don't know is how it was obtained.

Just by looking at the answer I can sort of see some sort of pattern, and I have written what I think is some sort of rule on the second half of this page, but I still don't really know what kind of differentiation rule is used here, so if any smart people here know it would greatly help me thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you first perform the whole integration, then differentiating. I.e. get an explicit expression for L_A.
    What do you get then? Have you tried that?
  4. Jun 24, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In general, Leibniz's rule, an extension of the fundamental theorem of calculus, says:
    [tex]\frac{\partial left(\int_{f(a,s)}^{g(a,s)} \phi(a,s,x)dx\right)}{\partial a}= \frac{\partial g}{\partial a}\phi(a,s,f(a,s))- \frac{\partial f}{\partial a}\phi(a,s,g(a,s))+ \int_{f(a,s)}^{g(a,s)} \frac{\partial \phi(a,s,x)}{da} dx[/tex]
    just the form you give. It can be derived using the fundamental theorem of calculus together with the chain rule to handle the variable limits of integration.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?