1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating compound functions

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1
    I have been happilly solving away a multitude of different questions until the book threw me this curve ball...10^(3x)

My first attempt was as follows: let y=u^3 and u=10^x
    dy/du = 3u^2...du/d10 = x(10^(x-1))...3x(10^2x(10^(x-1)))...3x(10^(3x-1))

the answer given in the book however is (3ln10)10^3x...thing is I haven't met a question of this type (they have been of the sort..((x^3)^1/2)/ln(x-2) etc...) and so my best attempt to reach this answer so far is to say that 10^3X is equivilant to saying e^3xln10.

If y = e^u and u = 3xln10 then...
    dy/du = e^u and du/dx = 3ln10 + (3x/10) giving...(3ln10+(3x/10))10^3x problem is...I have not reached the answer and I am not sure how I've gone wrong...please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume that you know that the derivative of ex is just ex itself. You should also have seen (although fewer people feel a need to memorize it!) that the derivative of ax, where a is any positive number, is axln(a).

If you haven't learned that, then, whenever you have a variable as an exponent, try taking the logarithm of both sides:
    If y= 103x, then ln(y)= 3x ln(10). Now differentiate both sides of that equation, remembering that the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x so the derivative of ln(y) with respect to x is
    [tex]\frac{dln(y)}{dx}= \frac{1}{y}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
    and then solve for [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex].

"If u = 3xln10 , the derivative of u is NOT 3ln10+ 3x/10!! "10" is not a variable. u is just ax where a= 3ln10."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  4. Oct 22, 2005 #3
    Thanks for your reply HallsofIvy
    don't remember having seen this(am away from my text book to use the computer...If I have encountered it though I certainly haven't answered any questions that involved it.)I shall check the book later.

The bit you wrote at the bottom makes sense

if dy/ydx = 3ln10...dy/dx = (3ln(10))10^3x :smile:

(for what it's worth I have never come across this technique and so double thanks.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?