1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating Constants

1. Jan 13, 2006 #1
    Before we differentiate, we must know whether a variable in that expression represents a constant or variable, correct?

For example, if we have the function,

[tex]f(x) = r^3 x^2[/tex]

[tex]f'(x) = \frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {r^3 x^2 } \right][/tex]​

(1) Now if [tex]r[/tex] represents a variable then,

[tex]f'(x) = r^3 \cdot \frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {x^2 } \right] + \frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {r^3 } \right] \cdot x^2
    [/tex]

[tex]f'(x) = 2r^3 x + 3r^2 x^2[/tex]​

But if we know [tex]r[/tex] to be a constant then,

[tex]f'(x) = 2r^3 x[/tex]​

So it seems like it is very important to know exactly what the variable represents in a function. Am I correct? In my current calculus textbook, I don't think this topic was covered thoroughly enough.

EDIT: On line labeled (1) the word "constant" was replaced by the intented word, "variable". My mistake...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

Now if [tex]r[/tex] represents a function of x then,

[tex]f'(x) = r^3 \cdot \frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {x^2 } \right] + \frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {r^3 } \right] \cdot x^2
    [/tex]

which, by the chain rule, is

[tex]f'(x) = 2r^3 x + 3r^2 r^{\prime} x^2[/tex]​

But if we know [tex]r[/tex] to be a constant then, [tex]r^{\prime}=0[/tex]

[tex]f'(x) = 2r^3 x[/tex]​

4. Jan 14, 2006 #3
    Could you elaborate more on what is meant by "r is a function of x"?

Is there a difference in me saying f(x) vs f(r,x) ?

Since I said f(x) can I think of it like,

"r doesn't allow for any inputs, only x allows inputs. Therefore the value of r will depend upon
    what value of x you put in." ?

By me saying f(x)=r*x does it mean that r MUST be some defined constant since it cannot have an input?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  5. Jan 14, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If r represents a variable, indpendent of x, then it would make no sense to write f(x)= r3x2- it would have to be f(x,r)= r3x2.

If you suspect that r is a function of x (for example that r= cos(x) so that f(x)= r3x2= cos3(x)x2 and so f'(x)= -3x2sin2(x)+ 2xcos3(x)), then you can "cover all bets" by writing f'(x)= 3r2x2r'(x)+ 2r3x. In that case, if it happens that r is a constant, r'(x)= 0 giving you f'(x)= 2r3x which is correct.

Generally, whether or not a letter represents a variable or a constant should be clear from the context.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  6. Jan 14, 2006 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Translation: if something isn't what we supposed it was then its behaviour may change? Answer: Yes. That has nothing to do with maths though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?