1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating electromagnetic field

1. Feb 5, 2004 #1
    For question 3, i don't know ho to differentiate the electromagnetic field. Can someone help me?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2004 #2

It's question 2
  4. Feb 6, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If F(x,y,z,t) the "total derivative of F is:
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}dy+\frac{\partial F}{\partial z}dz+\frac{\partial F}{\partial t}dt[/tex]
  5. Feb 6, 2004 #4
    help with #2 not #3

I put the wrong question number down. It's #2 that I need help with. Can someone help?
  6. Feb 7, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Odd. Your second post telling us that it is "problem 2 not problem 3" appears after my post but with an earlier "time stamp".

In any case, I have already given the general formula for "total differential". You might also want to know that, for a vector valued function E, [tex]\frac{\partial(E.E)}{\partial x}= 2E.\frac{\partial E}{\partial x}[/tex]. That should be all you need.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?