How do you differentiate a scalar field with exponentials?

In summary, Daniel says that you can differentiate the product f(x)g(x) using the rule df/dx = g(x) - f(x) . If you substitute x's with integers, the derivative will be +2, +3, etc. depending on the value of x.
buddingscientist
Hey again,

well i just studying several vaiable calculus, and encountered the problem of finding the gradient of the scalar field:

f = ye^(xy)

now I could successfully find the i component (y^2.e^(yx))
but I am having some trouble with the j component.

[tex]f = ye^{(yx)}[/tex]

if my understanding is correct to differentiate this wrt to y, we treat everything else (x) as if it were a constant.
now when i encouner stuff like this, i plug in an arbitrary number for x, such as 2, and continute like that

[tex]f = ye^{(2y)}[/tex]

now my intuition says [tex]df/dy = 2ye^{(2y)}[/tex]
and plugging x back in for the 2:
[tex]df/dy = xye^{(xy)}[/tex]

but this is obviously incorect, with both the solutions and a calculator giving the answer of:
(y.x + 1)e^(xy) or yxe^(xy) + e^(xy)

i have no doubts its correct but what is the procedure to get the additional exponential term? and under what conditions is it +2, +3, etc?

i tried searching the internet but just found examples wthout the leading variable (in this case y in front of the e).
and another thing, is my approach of answering partial DE's okay? (e finding something wrt y, replacing the x's and z's with integers, then diff'ing?
i guess i find it difficult just looking at something like [tex]f = ye^{(xy)}[/tex] and instantly finding df/dx and df/dy. are there ay other approaches out there?

thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
It really doesn't matter how u denote (this in the case in which u denote) the variable(s) kept constant in the partial differentiation,the important thing is to apply the rules correctly.
Unfortunately u didn't...
Compute the derivative of the product
[tex] f(x)g(x) [/tex]

wrt to "x".Then use this rule to CORRECTLY differentiate your formula...

Daniel.

ahh that's right, good old product rule.
deadset it's been at least 3 years since I've needed to use it lol

thanks a lot Daniel

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is a variable. It is characterized by a rapidly increasing or decreasing curve when graphed.

2. How do you differentiate an exponential function?

To differentiate an exponential function, you use the rule d/dx(e^x) = e^x, where e is the base of natural logarithms. This means that when you take the derivative of an exponential function, the resulting function will be the same as the original function.

3. What is the general rule for differentiating an exponential function?

The general rule for differentiating an exponential function is d/dx(ab^x) = ab^x * ln(b). This means that you multiply the function by the natural logarithm of the base and keep the original base raised to the power of x.

4. How do you differentiate a function with a variable exponent?

To differentiate a function with a variable exponent, you use the chain rule. This means that you multiply the derivative of the base function by the natural logarithm of the base, and then multiply by the derivative of the exponent.

5. What is the purpose of differentiating exponentials?

Differentiating exponentials allows us to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function at any given point. This is useful in many applications, including physics, economics, and engineering, as it helps us understand how a quantity changes over time or in response to certain variables.