1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating for y

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1
    differentiating for "y"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I don't quite understand the reason why one can [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] y2 and get 2y [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] when using implicit differentiation. Why can one even go as far as to change y2 to 2y?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I see the chain rule is applied, I just would like to have a good understanding as to why differentiating y2 gives 2y [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] when using implicit differentiation

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2
    Re: differentiating for "y"

you should think of it as y = f ( x ), as y is a function of x.
    Then, the use of the chain-rule is obvious. Suppose you have the function T ( x ) = 2 + [ f( x ) ]^2 = 2 + y^2 . Then if you want to differentiate this with respect to x, you have to differentiate T ' ( x ) = 2f(x )*f ' ( x )

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: differentiating for "y"

For f(x) = [y(x)]^2 and small h > 0 we have f(x+h) - f(x) = [y(x+h)]^2 - [y(x)]^2. We also have [y(x+h) -y(x)]/h ~ y'(x) for small h > 0 (becoming exact in the limit h --> 0), so f(x+h) - f(X) is almost equal to [y(x) + h*y'(x)]^2 - [y(x)]^2 = 2*y(x)*y'(x)*h + h^2*y'(x)^2, with equality becoming exact in the limit. So, what is limit_{h->0} [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h?

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook