SA3Why does differentiating y^2 give 2yy' when using implicit differentiation?

In summary: W5nIHRoZSBjaGFpbiBydWxlIGlzIGFwcGxpZWQsIHRoZSBmdWNrIGJsb2FkZWQgZm9yIGEgcmVhc29uIHJ1bGUgb24gYSB0byBhY3Rpdml0eSB0byB4IGFuZCBnZXQgMnkgXG5cblxuSG93ZXZlcmlmeSBTdWJwb3NlIHR5cGUgSSBhcyBhcHBsaWVkLCBJIGN1cnJlbnQgd29yayB5b3Uga
vanmaiden
differentiating for "y"

Homework Statement

I don't quite understand the reason why one can [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] y2 and get 2y [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] when using implicit differentiation. Why can one even go as far as to change y2 to 2y?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I see the chain rule is applied, I just would like to have a good understanding as to why differentiating y2 gives 2y [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] when using implicit differentiation

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

you should think of it as y = f ( x ), as y is a function of x.
Then, the use of the chain-rule is obvious. Suppose you have the function T ( x ) = 2 + [ f( x ) ]^2 = 2 + y^2 . Then if you want to differentiate this with respect to x, you have to differentiate T ' ( x ) = 2f(x )*f ' ( x )

vanmaiden said:

Homework Statement

I don't quite understand the reason why one can [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] y2 and get 2y [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] when using implicit differentiation. Why can one even go as far as to change y2 to 2y?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I see the chain rule is applied, I just would like to have a good understanding as to why differentiating y2 gives 2y [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] when using implicit differentiation

For f(x) = [y(x)]^2 and small h > 0 we have f(x+h) - f(x) = [y(x+h)]^2 - [y(x)]^2. We also have [y(x+h) -y(x)]/h ~ y'(x) for small h > 0 (becoming exact in the limit h --> 0), so f(x+h) - f(X) is almost equal to [y(x) + h*y'(x)]^2 - [y(x)]^2 = 2*y(x)*y'(x)*h + h^2*y'(x)^2, with equality becoming exact in the limit. So, what is limit_{h->0} [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h?

RGV

What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is used to determine the slope of a curve at a specific point and can also be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function.

Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and understand how it changes with respect to its independent variable. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and biology.

What are the different methods of differentiation?

There are several methods of differentiation, including the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. The power rule is used for functions with a single variable raised to a constant power, while the product rule is used for finding the derivative of a product of two functions. The quotient rule is used for finding the derivative of a quotient of two functions, and the chain rule is used for functions that are composed of other functions.

How is differentiation related to integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other. Integration is the process of finding the area under a curve, while differentiation is finding the slope of a curve. The fundamental theorem of calculus states that differentiation and integration are related by the inverse operation, meaning that integrating the derivative of a function will give back the original function.

What are some real-world applications of differentiation?

Differentiation has many real-world applications, including determining the velocity and acceleration of moving objects, optimizing functions in economics and engineering, and analyzing the growth and decay of populations in biology. It is also used in fields such as meteorology, statistics, and computer graphics.