How do you differentiate ln(2^x+3^x)?

In summary, the conversation revolved around differentiating composite functions using the Chain Rule. The main problem was finding the limit as n approaches infinity of ln(2^n+3^n)/n. The conversation also touched on using L'Hopital's rule and the properties of logarithms to solve the problem. The final conclusion was that there was an easier way to find the limit without using L'Hopital's rule.
jokerzz
I think I know how to do this but I'm completely blank at the moment. Do I differentiate 'ln' and then differentiate 2^x and 3^x in the denominator?

Physics news on Phys.org
By the chain rule, we have if [tex]y=ln(f(x))[/tex] then [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{f(x)}f'(x)[/tex]

ok so now I hav a bigger problem. The original question was that I needed to find the limit as n approaches infinity, ln(2^n+3^n)/n approaches...?? I know I need to use the lopital rule but I am not getting anywhere with it

Hint

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\ln\left(3^n\left(1+\frac{2^n}{3^n}\right)\right)}{n} [/tex]

And now use the logarithm's properties.

ok so that worked but when I take 2^n common i get the answer "ln(2)+ln(1.5)" but wen i take 3^n common, i get "ln(3)+ln(2/3)" and these are different answers

You';re making a mistake somewhere. Use the fact that:

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{2^n}{3^n} = 0 [/tex]

Last edited:
bigubau said:
Hint

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\ln\left(3^n\left(1+\frac{2^n}{3^n}\right)\right)}{n} [/tex]

Err.. Sorry, but I couldn't get your point... What are you trying to do?

jokerzz said:
ok so that worked but when I take 2^n common i get the answer "ln(2)+ln(1.5)" but wen i take 3^n common, i get "ln(3)+ln(2/3)" and these are different answers

When dealing with taking the derivatives of composite functions f(u(x)), one should immediately think of Chain Rule. The Chain Rule states that:

[tex]\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du} \times \frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

I'll give you an example so that you can understand how to apply the rule.
Example:
Differentiate: f(x) = sin(x2).
--------------------
Here, we notice that, if we define another function u(x) = x2, our function will become: f(x) = sin(x2) = sin(u(x)). Which is a composite function.

So, by using the Chain Rule, we have:

[tex]\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du} \times \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{d(\sin u)}{du} \times \frac{d(x ^ 2)}{dx} = \cos(u) \times 2x = 2x\cos(x ^ 2)[/tex].

Let's see if you can tackle your problem. It's pretty much the same as the example above. :)

bigubau said:
You';re making a mistake somewhere.

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{2^n}{3^n} = 0 [/tex]

It is?? How come? I took it as "(2/3)^n"

It's the same thing. 2/3 is under unity. Multiplying it an infinite nr of times gives 0.

bigubau said:
Hint

May I ask, what does taking this limit have anything to do with differentiating y = ln(3x + 2x)? :confused:

VietDao29 said:
May I ask, what does taking this limit have anything to do with differentiating y = ln(3x + 2x)? :confused:

The question I originally asked was just part of the whole question. Read my post above

bigubau said:
It's the same thing. 2/3 is under unity. Multiplying it an infinite nr of times gives 0.

Thanks dude for your help. I understand now

He was asked to find the value of the limit

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\ln\left(2^n + 3^n \right)}{n} [/tex].

First he though of setting the fraction as a function and using l'Ho^pital's rule. I only tried to show him that he needn't know any differentiation to solve his problem.

VietDao29 said:
The OP wanted to differentiate that in order to use L'Hopital's rule to do that limit. As usual, there was a far easier way to find the limit than to use L'Hopital's rule. Another case of not asking the question you really want answered!

Whoops... My bad. I dun really know why, but I just completely missed post #3... Sorry about that. :(

1. What is the formula for differentiating ln(2^x+3^x)?

The formula for differentiating ln(2^x+3^x) is d/dx ln(2^x+3^x) = (2^x ln2 + 3^x ln3) / (2^x + 3^x).

2. How do you simplify ln(2^x+3^x) for differentiation?

To simplify ln(2^x+3^x), you can use the logarithm rules to rewrite it as ln(2^x) + ln(3^x). Then, using the power rule for logarithms, you can further simplify it to xln2 + xln3.

3. What is the derivative of ln(2^x+3^x)?

The derivative of ln(2^x+3^x) is (2^x ln2 + 3^x ln3) / (2^x + 3^x).

4. Can you use the chain rule to differentiate ln(2^x+3^x)?

Yes, you can use the chain rule to differentiate ln(2^x+3^x). The first step is to rewrite it in the form ln(u) where u = 2^x+3^x. Then, the derivative is d/dx ln(u) = 1/u * du/dx = (2^x ln2 + 3^x ln3) / (2^x + 3^x).

5. What are the critical points of ln(2^x+3^x)?

The critical points of ln(2^x+3^x) occur when the derivative is equal to 0 or undefined. In this case, the derivative is undefined when x=0, and it is equal to 0 when x=-ln(ln3/ln2). Therefore, the critical points are x=0 and x=-ln(ln3/ln2).