1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating modulus

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1
    Ok so i was wondering if what i am doing is correct, But it gets the wrong minimum point?
    So my function is y=|x+4|

1) y^2=x+4
    2)2y(dy/dx)=1
    3)dy/dx = 1/2y
    4)dy/dx = 1/2|x+4|

I set that 0 and get
    0=1/(2(|x+4|))

Am i write in thinking this cannot be solved? or missing something?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yep that's right. It's the same as asking what number x can be used to make 1/x=0? None of course. And at x=-4 the derivative is undefined.

4. Jun 10, 2010 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

It goes wrong from the start, [itex]y^2 \neq x+4[/itex].

5. Jun 10, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Oh right, I guess I brushed over it too fast.

When that mistake is fixed, you'll still find the the derivative cannot equal zero anywhere and it's still undefined at x=-4 with the form 0/0

6. Jun 10, 2010 #5
    Oh yeah, thanks,

7. Jun 10, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Another approach is to get rid of the absolute values by writing the function as
    y = x + 4, x >= -4
    y = -(x + 4), x < -4

Then y' = 1 for x > -4 and y' = -1 for x < - 4. y' does not exist at x = -4.

Any extreme points of a function occur at places where y' = 0, or y' is undefined, or at finite endpoints of the domain in cases where a function is defined only on an interval [a, b].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook