Differentiating [ sin(1/ln(x)) / x ] solution?

In summary, the conversation is about solving and comparing solutions for the differentiation of sin(1/ln(x)) / x. One person shares their answer and asks for others to share theirs. A summary of the conversation includes the steps and answers for finding the first and second derivatives, as well as a discussion about where the conversation should be located on the forum.
r3dxP
[SOLVED] differentiating [ sin(1/ln(x)) / x ].. solution?

hello all. I do not have the solution to this question that I am about to ask. But if you find the time, try this solving this problem and feel free to type your answer and compare with mine.
differentiate :: sin(1/ln(x)) / x

my answer: -[ ( (sin(1/lnx)*(ln(x)^2) + cos(1/ln(x)) ) / ( (x^2)*(ln(x)^2) ) ]

i am extremely curious about what you all got. I want to see if i did it correctly. Thanks in advance.

I found some time to find the d^2y/dx^2 of this f().

answer #2 for d^2y/dx^2 : { [ (cos(1/lnx))(2+4lnx+2(lnx)^2+(x^2)(lnx)^3) ]+[ (sin(1/lnx))* (lnx) * (4(lnx)^2 - x^2+2(lnx)^3) ] } / { [(lnx)*x]^3 }

woah, i spent so much time doing it.. if you guys have a time to do it, post your answer pls! thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty straight forward, just a little tedius. (ln x)'= 1/x so (1/ln x)'= ((ln x)-1)'= -(ln x)-2(1/x)= -1/(x(ln x)2).

(sin(1/ln x))'= cos(1/ln x)(1/ln x)'= -cos(1/ln x)/(x(ln x)2).

By the quotient rule, (sin(1/ln x)/x)'= ((sin(1/ln x))'x- sin(1/ln x))/x2=
-cos(1/ln x)/(x3(ln x)2)- sin(1/ln x)/x2.
I think, except for the fact that I separted the two fractions, that's the same thing you have.

By the way, this belongs in the "Calculus" section, not the "Differential Equations" section. The fact that the problem involves a derivative does not mean it is a differential equation!

sorry about that, if you don't mind, could you move this thread to the "Calculus" section? Thanks.

Besides your expression for the derivative don't forget to state [tex]x > 0 , x \neq 1[/tex] as a derivative at [tex]x_{1}[/tex] needs to be defined over some interval [tex]x_{1}-R<x<x_{1}+R[/tex]

[tex]\boxed{\frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{ \sin \left[ \frac{1}{\ln x} \right]}{x} \right) = - \frac{1}{x^2} \left( \frac{ \cos \left[ \frac{1}{\ln x} \right]}{(\ln x)^2} + \sin \left[ \frac{1}{\ln x} \right] \right)}[/tex]

First derivative is OK.
But the second isn't.
I got
[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2} \left( \frac{ \sin \left[ \frac{1}{\ln x} \right]}{x} \right) = \frac{ 2\cos( \frac{1}{\ln x}) - \frac{\sin( \frac{1}{\ln x})}{\ln x}+ 2(\ln x)^3 \sin ( \frac{1}{\ln x}) +3 \ln x\cos \left[ \frac{1}{\ln x} \right]) }{x^3 (\ln x)^3} [/tex]
mathematica gives the same

What is the derivative of sin(1/ln(x)) / x?

The derivative of sin(1/ln(x)) / x is (x * cos(1/ln(x)) * (ln(x) + 1) - sin(1/ln(x))) / x^2.

How do you simplify the expression sin(1/ln(x)) / x?

To simplify the expression sin(1/ln(x)) / x, you can first rewrite it as sin(1/ln(x)) * (1/x). Then, using the quotient rule, you can take the derivative and simplify to get the final solution.

What is the domain of the function sin(1/ln(x)) / x?

The domain of the function sin(1/ln(x)) / x is all real numbers greater than 1, as the natural logarithm of 1 or any number less than 1 is undefined.

What is the range of the function sin(1/ln(x)) / x?

The range of the function sin(1/ln(x)) / x is all real numbers between -1 and 1, inclusive. This is because the sine function has a range of -1 to 1, and dividing by x does not change this range.

Can you use the chain rule to differentiate sin(1/ln(x)) / x?

Yes, you can use the chain rule to differentiate sin(1/ln(x)) / x. The chain rule can be applied whenever a function is composed of two or more other functions, and this is the case for sin(1/ln(x)) / x as it contains both the sine function and the natural logarithm function.