Understanding the Quotient Rule for Differentiating Functions

In summary, the original function given was y = (7.75x3 + 2250) / 750x and the derivative calculated using the quotient rule was incorrect. The correct derivative is dy/dx = 31x / 1500 - 3 / x2, which has a zero at x=5.256 and does not match the given information of a minimum at (4.03, 1.12). This was due to a mistake in simplifying the original function.
Millacol88
Somebody want to help with this derivative:
y = (7.75x3 + 2250) / 750x

I differentiate it with the quotient rule and get:
dy/dx = 31x / 1500 - 3 / x2

But that's wrong. It's got a zero around 5 - 6 and the original function has its minimum at (4.03, 1.12). Not sure what I did wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Millacol88 said:

But that's wrong. It's got a zero around 5 - 6 and the original function has its minimum at (4.03, 1.12). Not sure what I did wrong.
You have two variables on the right hand side. Is that intended? If so, how is r related to x ?

MOD note: Changed the copied text to reflect changes in the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, I keep typing it wrong. There's only meant to be a single variable on the right-hand side. Its fixed now.

Millacol88 said:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{7.75x^3+2250}{750x}=\frac{7.75x^2}{750}+ \frac{2250}{750x}=
\frac{31}{3000}x^2+ \frac{2250}{750x}[/itex]

The 7.75 gets divided by the 750 .

Millacol88 said:

You appear to have differentiated correctly and the derivative does indeed have a zero at x=5.256 (to 3dp).

Where did you get the (apparently false) information that the original function has a local minimum at x=4.03?

In fact, if you plug x=4.03 into the original function, you get y=0.91 (approx). Even allowing for rounding errors, the point (4.03, 1.12) isn't even close to being a point on the graph. :eek:

oay said:
You appear to have differentiated correctly and the derivative does indeed have a zero at x=5.256 (to 3dp).

Where did you get the (apparently false) information that the original function has a local minimum at x=4.03?

In fact, if you plug x=4.03 into the original function, you get y=0.91 (approx). Even allowing for rounding errors, the point (4.03, 1.12) isn't even close to being a point on the graph. :eek:

Do you know what I did? I simplified the original function to get the one I posted here, just checked and they're not the same. That's why the derivative didn't match up. I think I've about got it sorted out now.

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It helps us understand how a function changes over time or space.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a function. It is used in various fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and many more to solve problems and make predictions.

3. How do you differentiate a function?

To differentiate a function, we use the rules of differentiation which include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help us find the derivative of a function, which represents its rate of change.

4. What are the applications of differentiation?

Differentiation has many applications in the real world. It is used to find maximum and minimum values of a function, calculate velocity and acceleration, determine growth and decay rates, and much more. It is a crucial tool in optimization and modeling.

5. Can differentiation be used for any type of function?

Yes, differentiation can be used for any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, and many others. Each type of function has its own set of rules for differentiation, but the concept remains the same.