1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating Vectors

1. Apr 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was reading about the Hermite integration scheme for N-body simulations, as seen here: http://www.artcompsci.org/kali/vol/two_body_problem_2/ch11.html#rdocsect76

This scheme uses jerk, the time rate of change of acceleration. The problem is that I don't know how to correctly evaluate the derivative of the acceleration equation shown there.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \vec{a} = \frac{GM}{r^2}\vec{\hat{r}} [/tex]
    [tex] \vec{j} = GM\left(\frac{\vec{v}}{r^3} - 3 \frac{(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{v})\vec{r}}{r^5}\right) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I rewrote the unit vector in a to get:
    [tex]\vec{a}= \frac{GM\vec{r} }{r^3}[/tex]

To differentiate, I applied the quotient rule:
    [tex]\frac{d\vec{a}}{dt} = GM\frac{r^3\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} - \vec{r}\frac{dr^3}{dt}}{r^6} [/tex]

The first term is obviously v/r^3, but the second term is where I'm confused. I can get the right answer by using the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{\frac{dr^3}{dt}}{r^6} = \frac{3r^2\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}}{r^6} = \frac{3\vec{r}\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}}{r^5} = \frac{3(\vec{r}\cdot\vec{v})}{r^5}[/tex]

but I'm just arbitrarily changing the scalar r into the vector r. What's the right way to do this step?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The answer is correct, but the steps are all wrong: the first because it equates a scalar to a vector, the second because it contains a meaningless multiplication of two vectors, and the third because it then somehow gets back to a scalar quantity.
    Instead, keep the amounts as scalars all the way along. Start with:
    $$\frac{d(r^3)}{dt}=3r^2\frac{dr}{dt}$$
    Then draw a diagram and try to express ##\frac{dr}{dt}## in terms of ##\vec v## and ##\vec r##. You may find it convenient to use ##\hat r##, the unit vector in the direction of ##\vec r##, along the way.

4. Apr 14, 2016 #3
    Ok so, if we draw [itex]\vec{r} = r\hat{r}[/itex] on the plane, for instance, then the change in length will depend on which direction v is pointing. In the limit of a small time step dt, the change of length r is equal to v*dt*cos(θ), where θ is the angle between v and r. I.e.
    [tex]\frac{dr}{dt} = vcos\theta[/tex]

So we pull one of the 'r's from in front to get r*v*cos(θ), which is indeed equal to the dot product r·v. The remaining r cancels one in the bottom to get the r^5 term.

5. Apr 14, 2016 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted