1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating with units ?

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    okay we know that velocity is in meters per second and that acceleration is in
    m/(s^2) , so if I take the derivative of velocity with respect to time i get acceleration .
    but just looking at the units , if i start with velocity m/s (ms^-1) this might sound crazy but can i just take the derivative of s and get -ms^(-2) , any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2

sylas

Science Advisor

The units of X/Y are the same as the units of -X/Y. The factor has -1 has no dimension.

Cheers -- sylas

4. May 2, 2010 #3
    so what i did was correct , except for the minus sign .

5. May 2, 2010 #4

sylas

Science Advisor

Yes. When you obtain the units for a differentiation, you just need to do division. The units of X/Y are the same as the units of dX/dY. If you do a full differentiation and then extract units from the result you will get the same result as simply extracting the units by getting units for X and units for Y, and dividing. Actually carrying out a differentiation is overkill if all you want is units, but it gives the same result.

Cheers -- sylas

6. May 2, 2010 #5
    so we are just dividing everything by dY , in our case s , in all of my physics classes it was never really explained so thanks for taking the time to explain it.

7. May 3, 2010 #6

sylas

Science Advisor

You're welcome. Remember that dX/dY is defined as the limit of ΔX/ΔY as the small delta changes go towards 0. Taking a limit makes no difference to the units, so the units of the derivative is indeed the units of a division.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook