What is the Derivative of Functions with Radical and Fractional Exponents?

In summary, the conversation is about differentiating with respect to x. The given equations, y= 2/ (2x+3)^4, y= x(x+1)^(1/2), y= (x +1)(x^2 + 3x)^3, and y= 3x^3 + 3x^(-1/2) + 2, are all being differentiated using various rules such as the chain rule and the product rule. The conversation also includes a question about whether the person has learned the chain rule yet and a clarification on using the power rule. One person provides their solutions for the equations and the other person questions some of the steps.
disfused_3289
I'm having trouble with the following questions about differention with respect to x.

Differentiate with respect to x:

a)

y= 2/ (2x+3)^4

b)

y= x(x+1)^(1/2)

c)

y= (x +1)(x^2 + 3x)^3

d)

y= 3x^3 + 3x^(-1/2) + 2

Any help would be greatful

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned the chain rule yet?

disfused_3289 said:
a) y= 2/ (2x+3)^4
Re-write as;

[tex] y = 2(2x+3)^{-4}[/tex]

And use the chain rule.

disfused_3289 said:
b)y= x(x+1)^(1/2)
c)y= (x +1)(x^2 + 3x)^3
Chain rule and product rule

disfused_3289 said:
d) y = 3x^3 + 3x^(-1/2) + 2
Just use the power rule.

Yes, I have learned chain rule

to differentiate from x you find dy/dx

Here are my solutions, I don;t know if they're correct

a)

y= 2/ (2x+3)^4

= -4(2x +5)^(-5) x 2 x 2

= -16/ (2x + 5) ^ (-5)

b)

y= x(x+1)^(1/2)

= ( x + 2) (x + 1)^ (1/2) / 2

d)

y = 3x^3 + 3x^(-1/2) + 2

= 3x^2 - 3/2x^(1/3)

Last edited:
disfused_3289 said:
Here are my solutions, I don;t know if they're correct

a)

y= 2/ (2x+3)^4

= -4(2x +5)^(-5) x 2 x 2

= -16/ (2x + 5) ^ (-5)
Almost, where's the +5 come from in the bracket? And are you sure that should be a -5?
disfused_3289 said:
b)
y= x(x+1)^(1/2)
= ( x + 2) (x + 1)^ (1/2) / 2
I'm not sure where your coming from with that, perhaps if you posted your steps?

1. What is differentiation dilemma?

Differentiation dilemma refers to the struggle that companies face in balancing the need to stand out from competitors while also appealing to a broad market segment. It is the challenge of finding the right balance between being unique and being relevant to customers.

2. Why is differentiation dilemma important for businesses?

Differentiation dilemma is important because it can greatly impact a company's success. If a company is too similar to its competitors, it may struggle to attract customers. On the other hand, if a company is too unique, it may alienate potential customers who are looking for more familiar products or services.

3. What factors contribute to the differentiation dilemma?

Several factors contribute to the differentiation dilemma, including market saturation, changing consumer preferences, and the constant introduction of new products and services. Additionally, the rise of e-commerce and globalization has made it easier for customers to compare and choose between similar products and services.

4. How can businesses overcome the differentiation dilemma?

One way businesses can overcome the differentiation dilemma is by conducting thorough market research to identify gaps in the market and understand consumer needs and preferences. Companies can also focus on creating a unique brand identity and value proposition that sets them apart from competitors.

5. What are some examples of successful differentiation strategies?

Some examples of successful differentiation strategies include offering unique features or benefits, targeting a specific niche market, creating a strong brand image, and providing exceptional customer service. Companies like Apple, Coca-Cola, and Nike have all successfully differentiated themselves from competitors through their unique branding and marketing strategies.