Differentiation Help: Answers & Explanations

You are correct in your understanding that the outside function is the logarithm and the inside is h(x).In summary, the conversation was about a request for help with differentiation and verifying answers for various functions. The expert summarizer explains the use of the product and chain rules in solving for derivatives and gives tips for solving specific functions. The expert also confirms the correct answers for two of the functions and provides pointers for the incorrect one. Finally, the expert summarizes the conversation by stating that the answers for parts c and d are correct.
Dr Zoidburg
Help please on these. I'm extremely rusty with differentiation and want to know if I've got the right answers here

Homework Statement

differentiate the following functions (you do not have to simplify):
a. f(x)=[tex](x-2)^{3}e^{-2x}[/tex]
b. f(x) = cos x / ln ([tex]x^{2}[/tex] + x)
c. g(t) = [tex]cos^{4}[/tex]([tex]t^{2} + e^{2t}[/tex])
d. f(x) = ln (h(x))
e. [tex]y = (sin x)^{ln x}[/tex] x>0

The Attempt at a Solution

First three I think I've got:
a. I used the product rule and came out with the following:
[tex]-6(x-2)^{2}e^{-2x}[/tex]

b. -([tex]x^{2}[/tex] + x) sin x / (2x + 1)

c. [tex]-8(t + e^{2t})cos^{3}(t^{2} + e^{2t})sin(t^{2} + e^{2t})[/tex]
d and e I'm stuck on! Should I use the Chain rule for d and e?

If a, b and/or c are wrong, any pointers would be awesome. cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with a): It's not quite right. How did you get your answer?

Well, all of your answers are wrong. This is because while applying the product/quotient rule, you also need to apply the chain rule. Not sure what you did for c). Try rechecking.

Well I did say I was very rusty!
okay, looking at them again I think where I'm going wrong is that I just differentiating parts seperately, so not using the Product rule correctly. Is that fair to say?

For a), Is this closer to the answer:
[tex](x-2)^{3}.-2e^{-2x} + 3(x-2)^{2}.e^{-2x}[/tex]
and then combine like terms from there?

Dr Zoidburg said:
Well I did say I was very rusty!
okay, looking at them again I think where I'm going wrong is that I just differentiating parts seperately, so not using the Product rule correctly. Is that fair to say?

For a), Is this closer to the answer:
[tex](x-2)^{3}.-2e^{-2x} + 3(x-2)^{2}.e^{-2x}[/tex]
and then combine like terms from there?
Correct, now simplify as you said!

(d) is probably the easiest of the problems. Since you don't know what "h(x)" is, you will need to leave the answer in terms of h'(x).

for (e), and generally when you have the variable in both exponent and base, use "logarithmic differentiation". That is, let y= (sin(x))ln(x) and take the logarithm of both sides: ln(y)= ln(x) ln(sin(x)). Now differentiate both sides (using the chain rule extensively) and solve for y'.

Right, I think I'm getting on okay with these. Thanks for all the help.
I'm still having issues with c though.
I tried doing it a different way:
Now correct me if I'm wrong but:
[tex]cos^{4}(t^{2} + e^{2t})[/tex]
can be written as
[tex](cos(t^{2} + e^{2t}))^{4}[/tex]
right? (please say it is!)

And then using the chain rule we can do the following:
[tex]4cos^{3}(t^{2} + e^{2t}).-sin(t^{2} + e^{2t}).(2t + 2e^{2t})[/tex]
simplifying from there, I end up with the same answer as per my OP, which Snazzy said was wrong. I'm more inclined to believe Snazzy at the mo than my own (very limited) calc abilities. So any pointers as to where I'm going wrong?

For (d), for the answer do I make the outside function is the logarithm and the inside is h(x)?
So the answer is:
f'(x) = h'(x)/h(x)

Your answer for c is right. It was I who probably made the mistake, or didn't bother to check the third answer.

Your answer for d is right.

1. What is differentiation and why is it important in science?

Differentiation is the process by which cells become specialized in structure and function. It is important in science because it allows for the development and maintenance of complex organisms, as well as the repair and regeneration of tissues.

2. How does differentiation occur in multicellular organisms?

Differentiation occurs through the regulation of gene expression, as certain genes are turned on or off to produce different proteins and cell structures. This process is guided by signals from neighboring cells and the organism's environment.

3. What are the different types of differentiation?

There are three main types of differentiation: cellular, tissue, and organ. Cellular differentiation refers to the specialization of individual cells, tissue differentiation refers to the formation of different types of tissues, and organ differentiation refers to the development of specific organs and organ systems.

4. Can differentiation be reversed or changed?

In some cases, differentiation can be reversed through a process called dedifferentiation. This occurs when a specialized cell reverts back to a less specialized state, usually in response to injury or stress. However, not all types of differentiation can be reversed.

5. How does differentiation play a role in diseases and disorders?

Abnormal differentiation can lead to various diseases and disorders. For example, uncontrolled cell differentiation can result in cancer, while defects in tissue or organ differentiation can lead to developmental disorders. Understanding the mechanisms of differentiation can help in the development of treatments for these conditions.