Differentiation Help - Find the du/dx Answer Here

In summary, the question is about differentiating u = (1/x^8)^1/5 and the answer is du/dx = (-8/5)x^-13/5, using the rules (x^a)^b = x^(ab) and x^-a = 1/x^a.
Awesomesauce

Could someone help me with this simple differentiation?
u= 5root(1/x^8)
--> =(1/x^8)^1/5
= (1/5)/(x^8/5)
du/dx= ?
I don't know what to do after here, as I keep getting the wrong answer.
The answer is du/dx = (-8/5)x^-13/5
:( Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's clarify the question. Do you want to differentiate

[tex]u=\Big({\frac{1}{x^8}}\Big)^{1/5}=x^{-8/5}[/tex]

What's the derivative of x^n wrt x?

Yes. I want to differentiate that. How did you get to x^-8/5? I would know how to go from there, as its just reducing the power by one, and mutiplying the coefficient (1) by -8/5.
Thankyou for moving my question by the way! You have been really helpful so far!

Two rules:

[tex]\left(x^a\right)^b=x^{ab}[/tex]

[tex]x^{-a}=\frac{1}{x^a}[/tex]

Putting these together with your problem:
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{x^8}\right)^{1/5}=\left(x^{-8}\right)^{1/5}=x^{-8\times(1/5)}=x^{-8/5}.[/tex]

Now, using the differentiation rule as you have already worked out:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}x^{-8/5}=-\frac{8}{5}x^{-13/5}[/tex]

Awesomesauce said:
Yes. I want to differentiate that. How did you get to x^-8/5?

Sorry, I should've been more explicit there. See ubiquitousuk's detailed post.

Thankyou for moving my question by the way! You have been really helpful so far!

You're welcome.

ubiquitousuk said:
Two rules:

[tex]\left(x^a\right)^b=x^{ab}[/tex]

[tex]x^{-a}=\frac{1}{x^a}[/tex]

Putting these together with your problem:
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{x^8}\right)^{1/5}=\left(x^{-8}\right)^{1/5}=x^{-8\times(1/5)}=x^{-8/5}.[/tex]

Now, using the differentiation rule as you have already worked out:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}x^{-8/5}=-\frac{8}{5}x^{-13/5}[/tex]

Ah! Seems so simple now! Really helpful! Thanks!

1. What is "Differentiation Help" and where can I find it?

"Differentiation Help" refers to resources or assistance for understanding and solving problems related to differentiation, a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function. You can find "Differentiation Help" online through various websites, textbooks, or by seeking help from a math tutor.

2. What is the purpose of finding the du/dx answer?

The du/dx answer, also known as the derivative, is used to find the slope or rate of change of a function at a specific point. This information is useful in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering, as it allows for predicting future behavior of a system or analyzing trends.

3. How is du/dx calculated?

The du/dx answer is calculated using the rules of differentiation, which involve finding the derivative of each term in a function and then combining them using algebraic operations. Some common rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule.

4. Can I use differentiation to find the maximum or minimum value of a function?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be used to find the critical points, where the slope is equal to zero. By analyzing these points and the behavior of the function around them, you can determine whether they correspond to a maximum or minimum value.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when finding the du/dx answer?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the chain rule when differentiating composite functions. Another mistake is not simplifying the derivative before plugging in values, which can lead to incorrect answers. It is also important to pay attention to negative signs and keep track of variables when using the differentiation rules.