1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation help

1. Oct 27, 2014 #1
    hi,

is it possible to solve the following equation,

dy = dx/dt

for relation between y and x?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You'll have to tell us more. Where did you find that equation? In what context does this problem come up? What else do you know about x and y?

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3

Mark44

I've never seen an equation like this, with a differential on one side and a derivative on the other.

5. Oct 27, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In fact, you can't have an equation of that form. In terms of "non-standard analysis" a differential and "ordinary" function are different orders of objects and cannot be equal.

(You can say that [itex]dy= \frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt} dt[/itex] because there are differentials on both sides.)

6. Oct 28, 2014 #5
    let's take dy = k dx/dt where k is a constant, can then the value of y in terms of x or vice versa be solved?

i think it is possible to solve this, asking the physics and mathematicians who have encountered such problem

mathematicians help out here!!

thanks

7. Oct 28, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have already been told by the "physics and mathematicians" out there that such a combination of symbols is meaningless- the two sides of the purported "equation" are different types of objects and so cannot be equal. That would be asking to solve "green= C sharp".

What reason do you have, after being told that the "equation" is meaningless, to "think it is possible to solve this"?

8. Oct 28, 2014 #7
    i think that any two quantities x and y once appears with equality equation like that should have solution

9. Oct 28, 2014 #8

Mark44

The question has been asked and answered, so I'm closing this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook