1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation involving Pi

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Differentiation involving Pi

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Differentiate sin(t) + (pi)cos(t)

2. Relevant equations

Am I supposed to leave pi alone and just solve for the cos and sin parts? Or do I get f'(x) of pi as well?

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that f'(x) of sin(t) = cos(t)
    Now what do I do with the (pi)cos(t) part? Do I say that the slope of pi is zero, therefore the derivative of (pi)cos(t) is 0, then the answer would be just sin(t) for the whole equation.

OR

Leave pi there, and have f'(x) of cos(t)= -sin(t) so that would make: cos(t) + (pi)(-sin[t]) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

pi is a constant, so treat it like any other number. What's the derivative of 5x? Of pi*x?

4. Sep 16, 2007 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pi is just a constant. What do you know of the derivative of [itex] a cos(t) [/itex] where a is a constant?

5. Sep 16, 2007 #4
    Interesting way to put it. So is that what pi will be in most differentiation cases? How will you know if they are referring to pi as the radian in which the slope = 0?

6. Sep 16, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Huh? Pi is a number!

7. Sep 16, 2007 #6
    Yes, but Pi is also a radian measure of 180 degrees.

8. Sep 16, 2007 #7

Doc Al

True--the number of radians in 180 degrees equals pi. Pi is also the number of square meters within a circle who's radius is one meter. :wink: And many other things. But in all cases, pi is just a pure number--and that's all you care about when differentiating an expression that contains pi.

9. Sep 16, 2007 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would only matter if pi was the argument of one of the trig functions, which it is not. It is merely a number multiplying the function.

10. Sep 16, 2007 #9
    Ah, I see. Thank you both :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?