Differentiation of a Power Series

In summary, when expanding a power series, you should look for the term with the lowest power. If it's x^0, you'll lose that term and have to change the index.
DivGradCurl
Hi there,

I have a question regarding the differentiation of a power series. I understand what my book says about the index in a power series...

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} c_n \left( x - a \right) ^n \right] = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} n c_n \left( x - a \right) ^{n-1} [/tex]

it changes from [tex] n=0 [/tex] to [tex] n=1 [/tex] due to the loss of a term, namely [tex] c_0 [/tex].

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} n c_n \left( x - a \right) ^{n-1} \right] = \sum _{n=2} ^{\infty} n \left( n-1 \right) c_n \left( x - a \right) ^{n-2} [/tex]

it changes from [tex] n=1 [/tex] to [tex] n=2 [/tex] due to the loss of a term, namely [tex] c_1 [/tex].

I get a bit confused when it comes down to the real stuff. For example, consider the following:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{\left( -1 \right) ^n x^{2n+1}}{n! \left( n+1 \right) ! 2^{2n+1}} \right] = \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{\left( -1 \right) ^n \left( 2n+1 \right) x^{2n}}{n! \left( n+1 \right) ! 2^{2n+1}} [/tex]

and

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{\left( -1 \right) ^n \left( 2n+1 \right) x^{2n}}{n! \left( n+1 \right) ! 2^{2n+1}} \right] = \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{\left( -1 \right) ^n \left( 2n \right) \left( 2n+1 \right) x^{2n-1}}{n! \left( n+1 \right) ! 2^{2n+1}} [/tex]

The index does not change in either case. My question is: do I always need to expand the series to determine it? Or, is there a shortcut to determine the value of the index?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, notice in your last example that the term with n=0 is actually zero, so you could start the index at 1 difficulty. They should have actually done this, as it's written you have a [tex]x^{-1}[/tex] term, albeit with a zero coefficient.

Just look at the lowest power of x in your power series. If it's [tex]x^0[/tex], you'll lose this term when you differentiate and have to change the index.

Oh... I see. I just didn't notice that before... thank you.

What is the definition of a power series?

A power series is a series of the form ∑n=0∞ an(x-c)n, where an are constants and c is a fixed point.

What is the process of differentiating a power series?

To differentiate a power series, simply differentiate each term in the series using the power rule. This means multiplying the coefficient by the exponent and subtracting 1 from the exponent.

What is the interval of convergence for a power series?

The interval of convergence for a power series is the set of all values of x for which the series converges. This interval can be found using the ratio test or the root test.

Can a power series be differentiated term by term?

Yes, a power series can be differentiated term by term as long as the series converges within its interval of convergence. This is known as term-by-term differentiation.

What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a type of power series that represents a function as an infinite sum of its derivatives at a specific point. It is useful for approximating functions and solving differential equations.