1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation of a Power Series

1. Nov 1, 2004 #1
    Hi there,

I have a question regarding the differentiation of a power series. I understand what my book says about the index in a power series...

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} c_n \left( x - a \right) ^n \right] = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} n c_n \left( x - a \right) ^{n-1} [/tex]

it changes from [tex] n=0 [/tex] to [tex] n=1 [/tex] due to the loss of a term, namely [tex] c_0 [/tex].

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} n c_n \left( x - a \right) ^{n-1} \right] = \sum _{n=2} ^{\infty} n \left( n-1 \right) c_n \left( x - a \right) ^{n-2} [/tex]

it changes from [tex] n=1 [/tex] to [tex] n=2 [/tex] due to the loss of a term, namely [tex] c_1 [/tex].

I get a bit confused when it comes down to the real stuff. For example, consider the following:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{\left( -1 \right) ^n x^{2n+1}}{n! \left( n+1 \right) ! 2^{2n+1}} \right] = \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{\left( -1 \right) ^n \left( 2n+1 \right) x^{2n}}{n! \left( n+1 \right) ! 2^{2n+1}} [/tex]

and

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{\left( -1 \right) ^n \left( 2n+1 \right) x^{2n}}{n! \left( n+1 \right) ! 2^{2n+1}} \right] = \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{\left( -1 \right) ^n \left( 2n \right) \left( 2n+1 \right) x^{2n-1}}{n! \left( n+1 \right) ! 2^{2n+1}} [/tex]

The index does not change in either case. My question is: do I always need to expand the series to determine it? Or, is there a shortcut to determine the value of the index?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2004 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi, notice in your last example that the term with n=0 is actually zero, so you could start the index at 1 difficulty. They should have actually done this, as it's written you have a [tex]x^{-1}[/tex] term, albeit with a zero coefficient.

Just look at the lowest power of x in your power series. If it's [tex]x^0[/tex], you'll lose this term when you differentiate and have to change the index.

4. Nov 1, 2004 #3
    Oh... I see. I just didn't notice that before... thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?