Differentiation of an integral

In summary: If you want to vary phi you can use the chain rule to calculate the derivatives w.r.t. phi and psi. Doing that gives you a bunch of terms that you can integrate. In summary, the differentiation of a functional is a complicated process that can be simplified with a bit of knowledge about integration by parts.
wumple
differentiation of a functional

Where [tex]\phi = \phi(x)[/tex] and the functional [tex]F=F(\phi(x)) = \int d^d x [\frac{1}{2}K^2(\bigtriangledown\phi)^2+ V (\phi)][/tex]

, the author says the derivative with respect to phi gives

[tex]\frac {\partial F} {\partial \phi(x)} = -K^2\bigtriangledown^2\phi + V'(\phi)[/tex]

I'm not seeing this. Could anyone give me some tips for writing down the differentiation more explicitly? I'm trying to work it out by writing F(phi+ dphi) and subtracting F(phi) as detailed in http://julian.tau.ac.il/bqs/functionals/node1.html, but I can't seem to make it come out correctly. This is the chemical potential in the Cahn-Hilliard equation, if it's important.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ooh, that's a tough one, i feel like I'm close, do you have draft, maybe i could give a hint

First, of all, I don't understand the d^d x notation in the original expression. Does the superscript d mean something or is it a typo?

Lets ignore that superscript and see what we can find. Let [itex]\phi_{\epsilon}=\phi + \epsilon \psi[/itex] be a variation of the function, and take the limit as epsilon goes to 0. I am going to assume that there is some kind of Dirichlet condition on the boundary of the domain of this variational problem. We are going to need it to do integration by parts.

Let D be the name of the domain and [itex] \Gamma [/itex] its boundary.

[itex] \int_D (1/2)K^2 |\nabla \phi_{\epsilon}|^2+V(\phi_{\epsilon}) \, dx[/itex]

Taking the derivative with respect to epsilon and setting epsilon=0, we get

[itex] \int_D K^2 \nabla \phi \cdot \nabla \psi + V'(\phi)\psi \, dx[/itex]

For the first term use integration by parts, and you end up with

[itex] \int_D \left(-K^2 \nabla^2\phi+V'(\phi)\right)\psi\, dx [/itex]

If you are not familiar with that version of integration by parts it is equivalent to the divergence theorem:

[itex] \int_D \text{div}\, (\psi \nabla \phi)\, dx = \int_{\Gamma} (\psi \nabla \phi)\cdot \vec{n}\, d\sigma[/itex]

The right side is zero because of the Dirichlet condition on phi which forces psi to be zero on the boundary. Use the product rule to expand the left side and you have your integration by parts formula.

Going back to your original question, I would suggest doing variations like this:

[itex] \phi+\epsilon\psi[/itex]

epsilon is a real variable, so you can use the regular rules of differentiation, Taylor expansion, w/e. In particular, you can calculate the derivative w.r.t. epsilon and set epsilon =0. That gives you the variation in the direction of psi.

Last edited:

What is the definition of differentiation of an integral?

Differentiation of an integral is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate of change of an integral with respect to a variable. It is the opposite of integration, which is the process of finding the area under a curve.

Why is differentiation of an integral important?

Differentiation of an integral is important because it allows us to solve optimization problems, find critical points, and analyze the behavior of functions. It is also used in many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the formula for differentiating an integral?

The formula for differentiating an integral is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is the original function. Mathematically, this can be written as d/dx ∫f(x)dx = f(x).

Can differentiation of an integral be applied to any function?

Yes, differentiation of an integral can be applied to any continuous function. However, for some functions, the process can be complicated and may require the use of advanced techniques such as the Chain Rule or Integration by Parts.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when differentiating an integral?

One common mistake to avoid when differentiating an integral is to forget to include the variable of integration in the final answer. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and properly apply the Chain Rule when necessary. Additionally, make sure to check for any algebraic errors and simplify the final answer if possible.