Is there a new way to calculate derivatives of factorials?

In summary, Henry_m is correct - the derivative of the factorial function does not exist, at least in a meaningful sense. However, using the Gamma function and the fundamental theorem of calculus, it is possible to calculate derivatives for Gamma(x) not only for valid integers, but also for any valid real number.
dimension10
I think I have found a formula for finding Successive derivatives of factorials, though it may have been found already. I have attached it to this post.

Attachments

• differentiation theorem of x!.pdf
    170.2 KB · Views: 644
Physics news on Phys.org
dimension10 said:
I think I have found a formula for finding Successive derivatives of factorials, though it may have been found already. I have attached it to this post.

Are you aware of Euler's Gamma Function?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function

You can use that, along with the fact that Gamma(x) = (x-1)! for whole numbers x, along with the fundamental theorem of calculus to show what the derivative is for Gamma(x) not only for valid integers, but also for any valid real number as well.

chiro said:
Are you aware of Euler's Gamma Function?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function

You can use that, along with the fact that Gamma(x) = (x-1)! for whole numbers x, along with the fundamental theorem of calculus to show what the derivative is for Gamma(x) not only for valid integers, but also for any valid real number as well.

Yes, I am aware of the Gamma function, but I never thought that it would have any implications in this.

dimension10 said:

I'm afraid the 'derivative of the factorial function' doesn't exist. The function is only defined for non negative integer values so there is no meaningful concept of the slope of the function.

We could extend the function to include all positive real numbers, and the gamma function is a very natural way of doing this (though by no means unique). Then we can talk meaningfully about derivatives, but it's no longer the factorial function we're talking about.

henry_m said:
I'm afraid the 'derivative of the factorial function' doesn't exist. The function is only defined for non negative integer values so there is no meaningful concept of the slope of the function.

We could extend the function to include all positive real numbers, and the gamma function is a very natural way of doing this (though by no means unique). Then we can talk meaningfully about derivatives, but it's no longer the factorial function we're talking about.

Henry_m is spot on. I should have mentioned that. Also are you aware of the fundamental theorem of calculus?

It depends on how you define the factorial
If you define it like this [tex]x!=\prod_{n=1}^{x}n=1\cdot 2\cdot 3\cdot ...\cdot (x-1)\cdot x[/tex] then the function [tex]f(x)=x![/tex] is only defined for the natural numbers. Therefore the graphical represantion of the function will be a list of unconnected points, so a derivative won't make sense

If you define it like this [tex]x!=\Gamma (x+1)=\int_{0}^{+\infty}t^{x}e^{-t}dt[/tex][tex]\forall x\geq0 [/tex] then [tex]\frac{d}{dx}x!=\frac{d}{dx}\Gamma(x+1)=\int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{d}{dx}t^{x}e^{-t}dt=\int_{0}^{+\infty}t^{x}e^{-t}\ln{t}dt[/tex]

henry_m said:

Sorry but this is false. The domain of the factorial is a closed subset of the reals, and so http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_scale_calculus" can be used. In other words, there is a canonical way of defining a "derivative", which in this case is the forward difference operator. What is true is that the derivative from continuum analysis is not defined, but if we are talking about discrete analysis, there is no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
The website you link to talks about the "delta derivative" (also called the "Hilger derivative") NOT the standard derivative which is what is being discussed here.

HallsofIvy said:
The website you link to talks about the "delta derivative" (also called the "Hilger derivative") NOT the standard derivative which is what is being discussed here.

Two things: if the domain of a function is the reals then the delta derivative is the standard derivative, that's the whole point of time scale calculus. But the reason I posted is that OP's PDF is calculating the delta derivative, albeit, not in a mathematically rigorous way.

PS. Reading my post back, it was probably too strong. Apologies to henry.

1. What is the definition of differentiation of factorials?

Differentiation of factorials is a mathematical operation that involves finding the rate of change of a factorial function with respect to its input. This can be thought of as finding the slope of the curve representing the factorial function at a specific point.

2. Why is differentiation of factorials important?

Differentiation of factorials is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of factorial functions. This can be useful in various fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering where factorial functions are commonly used.

3. How is differentiation of factorials performed?

To differentiate a factorial function, we use the power rule of differentiation, which states that the derivative of xn is nxn-1. This rule can be applied recursively to find the derivative of higher order factorial functions.

4. Can differentiation of factorials be applied to non-integer values?

No, differentiation of factorials can only be applied to integer values. This is because factorials are defined only for positive integers, and the power rule of differentiation can only be applied to functions with continuous inputs.

5. How is differentiation of factorials used in real-world applications?

Differentiation of factorials is used in various real-world applications such as calculating probabilities in statistics, finding maximum and minimum values in optimization problems, and analyzing the growth of populations in biology. It also has applications in physics and engineering for modeling various physical phenomena.