1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation of sec^3( )

1. Jan 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    hello
    i have to derive this equation
    ## sec^3(x^3+csc^-1(cot^3\frac{x+4}{3x})) ##

2. The attempt at a solution

## 3sectan^2(x^3+csc^-1(cot^3\frac{x+4}{3x}))*(3x^2-\frac{1}{|cot^3\frac{x+4}{3x}|\sqrt(cot^6\frac{x+4}{3x}-1)})*(-3csc^2\frac{x+4}{3x})*(\frac{3x*1-(x+4)(3)}{9x^2})##

is it so far right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

First off, it's not an equation. Second, you are differentiating the expression, not deriving it. Starting with the equation ax2 + bx + c = 0, I can derive the quadratic formula, and this has nothing to do with calculus differentiation.
    Doesn't look right to me. It should start off with 3sec2(<bunch of other stuff>).

BTW, problems involving calculus should be posted in the Calculus section, not the Precalc section. I have moved this thread.

4. Jan 2, 2015 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Looks like you have a lot of chain rule to apply. first off make the substitution u = sec(junk inside), then du =? plugging it in ##\frac{d}{dx}f(u) = \frac{df}{du}\frac{du}{dx}## keep making substitutions until you get rid of all the composites. for example, after you make the intial substitution, you need to make another one, composed within u, say v = junk inside, then dv = ? then within v, you have another etc...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted