Differentiation of sin and cos

In summary, the conversation is about using the chain rule to differentiate y = sin (cos x). The steps for using the chain rule are provided and a mistake is pointed out in the original solution. The correct method is then explained and a misunderstanding is cleared up.
maccaman
i can't work out how to do this question, i have the answer, i just don't know how to get it
Q. differentiate
y = sin (cos x)

A. - cos (cos) sin x

If anyone could show me the solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the chain rule defined something like this:

[tex] \frac{df(g(x))}{dx} = \frac{df(g)}{dg} \frac{dg(x)}{dx} [/tex]

Here are the steps:

[tex] y = \sin \left( \cos x\right ) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \cos\left(\cos x\right) \frac{d}{dx}\left(\cos x\right) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \cos\left(\cos x\right) \left(-\sin x\right) [/tex]

Let me know if anything is still unclear.

we do the chain rule like this
sin (cos x) = uv

where u = sin, v = cos x

dy/dx = v (du/dx) + u (dv/dx)

= cos x . cos + sin . -sin x

Please tell me where i went wrong in this. i know its in my working, that's what i need help with, i get what your saying.

how stupid of me, i didnt even need to use the chain rule, sorry man, i totally screwed it up, i get how to do it now, thanks

Yes, you do need to use the chain rule.

maccaman said:
we do the chain rule like this
sin (cos x) = uv

where u = sin, v = cos x

dy/dx = v (du/dx) + u (dv/dx)

= cos x . cos + sin . -sin x

Please tell me where i went wrong in this. i know its in my working, that's what i need help with, i get what your saying.
This is the product rule, not the chain rule. sin (cos x) isn't the product of sine and cosine, it's a composite function.

yeh sorry bout the wrong rule: i just did it like we normally differentiate

sin (cos x)
dy/dx = cos (cos x) x (derivative of brackets) which is -sin x
sorry for such a debate

1. What is the difference between sin and cos?

Sin and cos are both trigonometric functions used in mathematics to calculate the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle. The main difference is that sin calculates the ratio of the side opposite the angle to the hypotenuse, while cos calculates the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

2. How do you differentiate sin and cos equations?

To differentiate a sin or cos equation, you can use the chain rule. First, take the derivative of the inner function (the angle), then multiply it by the derivative of the outer function (sin or cos). For example, if you have y = sin(2x), the derivative would be dy/dx = cos(2x)*2 = 2cos(2x).

3. What are the derivatives of sin and cos?

The derivative of sin(x) is cos(x), and the derivative of cos(x) is -sin(x). This can also be written as d/dx(sin(x)) = cos(x) and d/dx(cos(x)) = -sin(x).

4. How do you use the differentiation of sin and cos in real-life applications?

The differentiation of sin and cos is commonly used in physics and engineering to model and analyze oscillating systems such as pendulums, springs, and electrical circuits. It is also used in fields like astronomy and music theory to study wave phenomena.

5. Are there any special rules for differentiating sin and cos?

Yes, there are a few special rules for differentiating sin and cos equations. These include the chain rule, product rule, and quotient rule. It is important to follow these rules and practice using them to accurately differentiate more complex equations involving sin and cos.