Maximizing the Chain Rule: Solving Differentiation Problems with Multiple Rules

In summary, this problem stumped Adan but he found the most appropriate place to ask for help. He found that the problem is a combination of the chain rule, product rule and quotient rule, but he doesn't see how to go about solving it. He also doesn't see what the outside function is supposed to be for the whole expression. Any help would be much appreciated.
Dissonance in E
This isn't a homework problem but something that stumped me in selfstudy, however i see this to be the most approperiate place to ask for help nevertheless.

This is straight out of Adan's calculus 6e, Chain rule section.

y= (x^5)sqrt(3+x^6) / (4+x^2)^3

To me it looks like a combination of the chain rule, product rule and quotient rule. But i donät see how to go about solving it, what's the proper order to apply the rules?
Also I don¨t see what the outside function is supposed to be for the whole expression.

Any help would be much appreciated, and general tips for problems requiring multiple differentiation rules would be even more so.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the quotient rule, then the chain rule as required to complete the derivatives called for by the quotient rule.

Since, here, the denominator is fairly complex, I would be inclined to write it as
[itex]y= (x^5)\sqrt{3+x^6} (4+x^2)^{-3}[/itex] and use just the product rule (and, of course, the chain rule).
Perhaps even better would be [itex]y= (x^5)(3+x^6)^{1/2} (4+x^2)^{-3}[/itex]

Im not sure how to apply the product rule when the number of terms is more than 2.

1. Find the derivatives of the components of den and num, namely
X^5 by power rule = 5x^4
(3+x^6)^1/2 by chain rule = 1/2(3+x^6)^-1/2 (6x^5)
(4+x^2)^3 by chain rule = 3(4+x^2)^2 (2x)

2. Apply product rule to numerator:
f '(num) =(x^5)((1/2(3+x^6)^-1/2(6x^5)) + (5x^4)((3+x^6)^1/2)

3. Plug parts into quotient formula:

It looks like a big mess to me.

Dissonance in E said:
Im not sure how to apply the product rule when the number of terms is more than 2.
It's a straight forward extension. If u, v, and w are all functions of x, to find (uvw)' think of it as ((uv)w)' and apply the product rule to the two functions uv and w:
((uv)w)'= (uv)'w+ uvw'. Now apply the product rule to (uv)': (uvw)'= (u'v+ uv')w+ uvw'= u'vw+ uv'w+ uvw'. The extension to any number of factors should be obvious: with n factors you will have n terms each with a different factor differentiated.

Ah I see, thanks!
Btw can I delete threads that I created, or is that a mod privilege?

No, you have to leave them their so everyone can laugh at how foolish you were- just like they do the rest of us!

Ah, the shame :C

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate at which a function changes over a given interval. It is also known as finding the derivative of a function.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a function, such as its rate of change and its critical points. It is used in many fields of science and engineering to solve problems and make predictions.

3. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other. While differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, integration finds the area under a curve. In simpler terms, differentiation finds the slope of a curve, while integration finds the area under the curve.

4. What are some common applications of differentiation?

Differentiation has many applications in fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and biology. It is used to analyze motion, optimize functions, calculate rates of chemical reactions, and model population growth, among others.

5. How can I solve a differentiation problem?

To solve a differentiation problem, you can use various techniques such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. It is also important to have a good understanding of algebra and basic calculus concepts. Practice and familiarity with different types of problems will also help improve your skills in solving differentiation problems.