1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation problem

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    Hey I'm stuck on a problem, i have to find the differential of y=5x(2x-1)^3 and therefore find the x-coordinate of a stationary point on a graph,
    I use the chain rule and get the differential to be 30x(2x-1)^2 and therefore the x-coordinate to be 0.5
    however my textbook says the differential is 5(2x-1)^2(8x-1) and the x-coordinate of the stationary point is 1/8th I was wondering if someone could explain how this answer was obtained. Thanks :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You used the chain rule, but you forgot about the product rule?
    If you open up the last pair of brackets the first term is precisely what you got.

4. Jan 14, 2009 #3
    Ah thank you very much but i was always taught to do the chain rule in equations like the one above but the product rule worked :P again, thanks.

5. Jan 14, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sometimes you need both!:wink:

6. Jan 14, 2009 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a product of two (or more things) you always start with the product rule,
    (f(x) g(x))' = f'(x) g(x) + f(x) g'(x)

This obviously requires you to calculate f'(x) and g'(x) and you may need the chain rule for either f'(x), or g'(x), or both. For example, for the derivative of
    (3x + 6)^2 (2x - 1)^3
    you will need the product rule once and the chain rule twice.

7. Jan 14, 2009 #6
    I understand now. Thanks for all the help guys :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?