What is the total differential for a function with two variables?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of a vector function and integrating a vector function. The bolded parts are relevant and differentiation and integration are done component-wise. For the second and third parts, differentiation and integration are done using the product rule. There are two ways to indicate partial differentiation: with subscripts or using a fraction with different letters. Implicit differentiation is not used in this case. If finding the total differential, it will involve differentials of the independent variables.
eddysd

Homework Statement

a=(t^2 + 1)i - j + tk

Find da/dt

I multiplied out the brackets so a= it^2 + i - j + tk

then got as far as da/dt= 2it + 0 + 0 + ?

a) is this right so far?
b) how do i integrate tk with respect to t?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume a constant k, in which it's simple.

Thinking about it, the question says "Given a=(t^2)i -j + tk find:"

da/dt

Do you think that the bold is relevant? There are another two parts one for b and db/dt then the third part is d/dt(a.b). The whole question is worth 7. Any ideas?

eddysd said:
Thinking about it, the question says "Given a=(t^2)i -j + tk find:"

da/dt

Do you think that the bold is relevant? There are another two parts one for b and db/dt then the third part is d/dt(a.b). The whole question is worth 7. Any ideas?
Yes, the bolded things are very relevant. i, j, and k on the right side are unit vectors. da/dt will also be a vector quantity.

For both a and b, differentiation and integration of vector functions is done component-wise.

As for the integration, here's an example:
[tex]\int 2t\bold{i} dt = t^2\bold{i} + \bold{C}[/tex]

so would da/dt= 2ti + 0j + 1k ?

Yes. This could also be written as da/dt = 2ti + k

Thank you for the help! But just to check I understand, I'm going to do the second and third parts.

b=2tj - k

so db/dt=2j ?

and the third part, d/dt(a.b) how would I times the two together?

Would a.b= t^2i - 2tj -tk?

So d/dt(a.b)=2ti - 2j -k ?

Another question whilst I'm at it, if f=5x^5.y

is df/dx= 25x^4.y + 5x^5.ydx?

eddysd said:
Another question whilst I'm at it, if f=5x^5.y

is df/dx= 25x^4.y + 5x^5.ydx?

What does 5x^5.y mean?
Is it 5x5* y or 5x5y?
Is f a function of two independent variables, x and y?

Sorry for being unlclear, it's (5x^5)* y. And yes, it is f(x,y).

A better way to write it would be f = 5yx5.

So you're trying to find fx, or [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex].

You don't need to use the product rule. Since x and y are independent variables, y is considered a constant when differentiating with respect to x.

Why do you have dx in one part of your answer? It should not be there.

I just remembered something from school, I thought you had to put something like that in when differentiating y with respect with x. So df/dx would just be 25yx^4?

Implicit differentiation? Or do you not do that when the function is f(x,y)?

eddysd said:
I just remembered something from school, I thought you had to put something like that in when differentiating y with respect with x.
No.
eddysd said:
So df/dx would just be 25yx^4?
That's the answer, but you should indicate that you're doing a partial differentiation. There are two (at least) kinds of notation: one with subscripts, which in this case would be fx, and another is similar to df/dx but with different letters -- [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]

eddysd said:
Implicit differentiation?
No.
eddysd said:
Or do you not do that when the function is f(x,y)?
No, not then either.

If you have z = f(x, y) and you want the total differential, it will involve differentials of x and y.

dz = fx dx + fy dy

or
[tex]dz = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}~dx + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}~dy [/tex]

1. What is differentiation problem?

Differentiation problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. It is an essential concept in calculus and is used to analyze the behavior of functions.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation allows us to find the slope or rate of change of a function at a specific point. This information is crucial in many real-world applications, such as determining the velocity of a moving object or the growth rate of a population.

3. What are the different methods of differentiation?

The most common methods of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Other techniques such as implicit differentiation and logarithmic differentiation are also used in more complex functions.

4. When do we use differentiation?

Differentiation is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is particularly useful in analyzing rates of change, optimization problems, and curve sketching.

5. What are the applications of differentiation in real life?

Differentiation has numerous real-life applications, such as calculating the maximum profit for a business, determining the optimal dosage of medication for a patient, and predicting the future value of investments. It also helps in understanding the behavior of natural phenomena, such as population growth and weather patterns.