1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation problem

1. Oct 3, 2004 #1
    hi, could anyone guide as to how to go about solving this question?
    A cicular patch of grass or radius 20m is surrounded by a walkway and a light is placed atop a lamppost at the circle's center. At what height shoud the light be placed to illuminate the walkway most strongly? The intensity of illumination "I" of a surface is given by
    I = [k.sin(theta)] / D^2 where is the distance from the light source to the surface and theta is the angle at which light strikes the surface, and k i s a positive constant

pls anyone, just give me a push, i am competely cluess as to where to begin.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just write [itex]\sin \theta[/itex] in terms of D and R (radius of the circle) and set the derivative of I with respect to D equal to 0, etc.
  4. Oct 3, 2004 #3
    [tex] \textrm{Here goes some hints...} [/tex]

[tex] R = 20 \textrm{ m} [/tex]

[tex] \hline [/tex]

[tex] R = D \cos \theta [/tex]
    [tex] h = D \sin \theta = \frac{R}{\cos \theta} \cdot \sin \theta = R \tan \theta [/tex]

[tex] \hline [/tex]

[tex] I = k\cdot \frac{\sin \theta}{D^2} [/tex]
    [tex] \sin \theta = \frac{ID^2}{k} [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{h}{D} = \frac{ID^2}{k} [/tex]
    [tex] h = \frac{ID^3}{k} [/tex]
    [tex] h = \frac{I}{k}\left( \frac{R}{\cos \theta} \right)^3 [/tex]​

[tex] \textrm{Good luck!} [/tex] :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?