1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation problem

1. Nov 8, 2005 #1

I'm trying to complete the question below:
    Consider F(x,y)=1/3x^3+y^2+2xy+2x+2y+1
    Find the 2 stationary points of F and show that one of them is a minimum of F.
    I've got as far as getting:
    dF/dx = 2/3x+2y+2
    dF/dy = 2x+2y+2
    I would like to know what i need to do next (do i have to treat the above two terms as simultaneous equations?)
    Any help will be appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Be careful, if your initial function F(x,y) is correct then you've got a wrong partial derivative with respect to x. I see a x³/3 and its derivative should give x² and I don't see that term in your dF/dx. dF/dy seems to be correct.

Once you have the right partial derivatives, let them equal zero and solve them together (system of 2 equations). This gives the stationary points.
  4. Nov 8, 2005 #3

Thanks for your reply,

You're correct, it should read:

dF/dx = 2/3x^2+2y+2, which i wrote down in my notes!Typo error.

When you say, solve them together, do you mean like you do with simultaneous equations?

I tried that route but i'm getting confused with what to do with the term that's a fraction.

I get:

so i assume that the 2 term cancels,as does the 2y and then i get lost.
  5. Nov 8, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

Yes, a system of equations so simultaneous equations.
    By the way, (x³/3)' = x² and not 2x²/3...

Be careful with your derivatives, else the stationary points will be wrong too of course!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?