How to Find and Verify Stationary Points in a Differentiation Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the stationary points of the function F(x,y)=1/3x^3+y^2+2xy+2x+2y+1. The first step is to find the partial derivatives, which are dF/dx = 2/3x^2+2y+2 and dF/dy = 2x+2y+2. It is then necessary to solve these equations together to find the stationary points. There is a typo in the initial function, as well as a mistake in the derivative with respect to x. The conversation concludes with discussing how to solve the system of equations.
smn
Hello,
I'm trying to complete the question below:
Consider F(x,y)=1/3x^3+y^2+2xy+2x+2y+1
Find the 2 stationary points of F and show that one of them is a minimum of F.
I've got as far as getting:
dF/dx = 2/3x+2y+2
dF/dy = 2x+2y+2
I would like to know what i need to do next (do i have to treat the above two terms as simultaneous equations?)
Any help will be appreciated
Regards
smn

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful, if your initial function F(x,y) is correct then you've got a wrong partial derivative with respect to x. I see a x³/3 and its derivative should give x² and I don't see that term in your dF/dx. dF/dy seems to be correct.

Once you have the right partial derivatives, let them equal zero and solve them together (system of 2 equations). This gives the stationary points.

Thanks for your reply,

You're correct, it should read:

dF/dx = 2/3x^2+2y+2, which i wrote down in my notes!Typo error.

When you say, solve them together, do you mean like you do with simultaneous equations?

I tried that route but I'm getting confused with what to do with the term that's a fraction.

I get:

2+2/3x^2+2y=0-----eq.1

2+2x+2y=0----------eq.2

so i assume that the 2 term cancels,as does the 2y and then i get lost.

Yes, a system of equations so simultaneous equations.
By the way, (x³/3)' = x² and not 2x²/3...

Be careful with your derivatives, else the stationary points will be wrong too of course!

1. What is a differentiation problem?

A differentiation problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the derivative of a function. The derivative represents the rate of change of a function at a given point.

2. What are some common techniques for solving differentiation problems?

Some common techniques for solving differentiation problems include using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help to simplify the process of finding the derivative of a function.

3. How is differentiation used in real life?

Differentiation is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and biology. It is used to model rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration, and to optimize functions in fields like finance and engineering.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving differentiation problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving differentiation problems include forgetting to use the chain rule, not simplifying the derivative fully, and incorrectly applying the power rule. It is also important to check for algebraic errors and to remember to include the constant of integration when integrating.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving differentiation problems?

To improve your skills in solving differentiation problems, it is important to practice regularly and to understand the underlying concepts and rules. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources, and try to apply differentiation to real-life problems to deepen your understanding.