What are the best rules for solving differentiation problems?

In summary: So here, you could let u = -2x^2 (the "whatever"), and then the deriv of u is just u' = -4x. So now you havef'(x) = x * e^-2x^2 * -4x + e^-2x^2 * 1I.e.,f'(x) = -4x^2 * e^-2x^2 + e^-2x^2Note that you can factor out e^-2x^2 and then use the rule for a sum of two derivatives.For 6 (I'll use the notation sqrt(x) instead of x^(1/2) just because it's more standard) you're almost
JakePearson
have a few problems with these questions, can you help :)

1. f(x) = -x2 + x
2. f(x) = lnx - x
3. f(x) = -x4 + 2x2
4. f(x) = x2/4 + 4/x
5. f(x) = xe-2x2
6. f(x) = sqrt(x - n)/x ; n>0

hope you guys can help !

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you help as in do your homework for you? Certainly not! Before we help you we require you to show some work. You're not going to tell me that you have no clue whatsoever about 1) for example. If you're following a text you can be sure that there are examples on how to differentiate polynomials. Show us your attempts so far.

[itex]dx^n/d= nx^{n-1}[/itex]
[itex]d(ln(x))/dx= 1/x[/itex]
[itex]de^x/dx= e^x[/itex]
d(uv)/dx= u dv/dx+ du/dx v
d(u/v)/dx= (du/dx v- u dv/dx)/v2

Surely, those are all in your textbook?

hey guys, i do apologise, i had a go at them, and i was wondering if the answers i got were correct!

1.f(x) = -x^2 + x

d/dx(x^n) = nx^(n-1)

f '(x) = -2x + 1

2.f(x) = lnx - x

f '(x) = (1/x) - 1

3.f(x) = -x^4 + 2x^2

f '(x) = -4x^3 + 4x

4.f(x) = x^2 / 4 + 4 / x

For (x^2/4), pull out (1/4) and use the power rule. for 4/x use quotient rule.

d/dx(f(x)/g(x)) = (f '(x)g(x) - f(x)g '(x))/( g(x) ^2)

f '(x) = (1/2)x - 4/x^2

5. f(x) = xe^-2x^2

Product rule: d/dx(f(x)g(x)) = f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g '(x)
Chain rule: d/dx(f(g(x)) = f '(g(x)) * g'(x)

f '(x) = e^-2 * x^2 + x(2e^-2x)

6. f(x) = sqrt(x - n) / x ; n>0

sqrt(x - n) = (x - n)^ (1/2)

f '(x) = (1/2) (x - n)^(-1/2)

i do apologise again, hope u can help :)

1-4 are fine, 5 however;

f(x) = x * e^-2x^2

is more tricky, my advice here is first taking the natural log of both sides otherwise it gets very messy, you've missed a lot out in your answer which is understandable, here i'll get you going;

ln (f(x)) = ln (x) + (-2x^2 * ln (e))

follow this rigidly, yes it'll be hard but it's a really good tool!

6;

You've ignored the /x

For #4 you got the right answer, but using the quotient rule on 4/x is overkill. If you rewrite 4/x as 4x-1 you can use the constant multiple rule and the power rule.

I.e., d/dx(4/x) = d/dx(4x-1) = 4*d/dx(x-1) = -4x-2

You should never use the quotient rule when either the numerator or denominator of the expression to be differentiated is a constant. The quotient rule will work, but there is a greater likelihood of making a simple algebraic error and thereby getting the wrong answer.

For 5: The best thing to do is product rule. Do you know the rule for e^f(x)?

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} [e^{u}] = e^{u}u'[/tex]

I learned it as, "deriv of e^whatever = e^whatever * deriv-whatever."

1. What is differentiation in scientific terms?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one or more independent variables. It is often used in scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to analyze the behavior of systems over time.

2. What are some common types of differentiation problems?

Some common types of differentiation problems include finding the derivative of a function, finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, and solving related rates problems.

3. How is differentiation used in scientific research?

Differentiation is used in scientific research to analyze the behavior of systems and to make predictions about how they will change over time. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships between variables.

4. What are some real-world applications of differentiation?

Differentiation has many real-world applications, including in economics, engineering, and medicine. For example, it can be used to analyze the rate of change of stock prices, optimize the design of structures, and model the spread of diseases.

5. What are some strategies for solving differentiation problems?

Some strategies for solving differentiation problems include using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. It is also helpful to understand the properties of derivatives and to practice with a variety of problems to build familiarity and skill in solving them.