1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation Quantum Phasis

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given two quantum preparations
    [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( |0\rangle + | 1 \rangle \right) [/itex]
    [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( |0\rangle - | 1 \rangle \right) [/itex]
    Give a measurement that will distinguish between these two preparations with high probability.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm thinking that there might be some other measurement basis with which I can apply in order to get a high probability of determining which is which, but I can't think of it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2
    Do you know what 0 and 1 means? are they eigenstates of say angular momentum, Lz, states of harmonic oscillator? or something else?

If you don't know what 0 1 are (except different energy eigenstates), you will just have to arbitrarily construct a Hermitian operator whose eigenstates are the ones above and call that a measurement. I'm quite sure this is not what the question wants.
  4. Jan 14, 2009 #3
    The original question is how to differentiate between the following states in a 2-dimensional Hilbert space:

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt2} \left( | 0 \rangle + e^{3i\pi/4} | 1 \rangle \right) [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt2} \left( | 0 \rangle + e^{7i\pi/4} | 1 \rangle \right) [/tex]

and the hint suggested that I use a [itex] \pi/4 [/itex] shifter [itex] | 0 \rangle\langle 0 | + e^{i\pi/4} |1 \rangle \langle 1| [/itex].
  5. Jan 15, 2009 #4

Homework Helper

Hint: is a projection operator Hermitian?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?