1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation Question Help

1. Feb 28, 2004 #1
    Hey
    I'd really appreciate some help with the following differntiation problems:

Here are my workings for the first part:
    b^2 - 4ac = 0 (from formula)
    4b^2 - 4(3a)(c) = 0
    4b^2 = 12ac
    b^2 = 3ac

For the second part, finding the coordinates, im not sure what i should do, any advice?

(ii) Using logarithms, or otherwise, differentiate:

y=(e^x^2\sqrt{SinX})/(2x + 1)^3

Ok, so I've been trying to do this, but I'm not sure where the logarithms part comes into it, or where to start, maybe a quotient rule?
    Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2004 #2

FZ+

Whaa? Where did you get this formula from?

I would do it by differentiating:

f'(x) = 3ax^2 + 2bx + c = 0

This gives one turning point, given repeated roots in x.

ie. (2b)^2 - 4*3*a*x = 0

This can be solved easily.

Coordinates? Quadratic formulae, again.
    x = -2b/6a (since the square root bit equals 0 for repeated roots)

Substitute, and viola!

That does look nasty, doesn't it?
    Can you clarify with brackets etc what (e^x^2\sqrt{SinX}) is? Do you mean:

e^((x^2)/(sqrt(sinx)))?

As for logs, perhaps you are meant to log both sides, and differentiate implicitly?

4. Feb 28, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Here are my workings for the first part:
    b^2 - 4ac = 0 (from formula)"

My first reaction was the same as FZ+: "where did you get that formula"? Then I realized that you are using the same letters to mean different things.

Given a cubic ax3+ bx2+ cx+ d, a turning point can only occur where the derivative: 3ax2+ 2bx+ c= 0

That can be solved using the quadratic formula and, in order that there be exactly 1 turning point, there must be exactly one solution so "b2- 4ac= 0" where a,b,c are now the coefficients of ax2+ bx+ c. Putting in the values 3a and 2b for "a","b" gives you the rest:

"4b^2 - 4(3a)(c) = 0
    4b^2 = 12ac
    b^2 = 3ac"

BAD IDEA! Never use the same letters to represent different things! Or at least tell us you are doing that!

As for finding the turning point: 3ax2+ 2bx+ c= 0 and
    b2= 3ac. Okay, then, again, from the quadratic formula,
    since the discriminant is 0 x= -2b/(6a). You can plug that into the original cubic to find y (exactly what FZ+ suggested)

Like FZ+, I have no idea what "y=(e^x^2\sqrt{SinX})/(2x + 1)^3" is, in part because of that "\". My guess, like his, is that you meant
    y=(e^{x^(x^2/sqrt(sin(x)))})/(2x+1)^3.

log(y)= x^(x^(2/sqrt(sin(x)))))-3log(2x+1) which should be easier to differentiate.

5. Feb 28, 2004 #4
    Ok, thanks for the help with the first part. I should probably have explained that the formula was taken from the quadratic formula x = [-b +/- squrt(b^2-4ac)]/2a, using the b^2-4ac = 0 to show that it has one real root.
    I think the reason the question was asked using a,b,c,d was to confuse people trying to do it.

As for the log question, i didnt make a great job of typing it out, so ill try again:
    Y = [{e^(x^2)}.sqrt{SinX}]/[(2x + 1)^3

Y = e to the power of x squared by the square root of sinX, divided by (2x + 1) to be cubed.
    Thanks again for the help.

6. Feb 29, 2004 #5
    Any ideas on solving the second problem?

7. Feb 29, 2004 #6
    is it

[tex]y=\frac{e^{x^2} \sqrt{\sin x}}{(2x+1)^3}[/tex]

8. Feb 29, 2004 #7
    Yeah, thats it, my latex skills arent really up to scratch yet. Thanks, any clues on solving?

9. Feb 29, 2004 #8
    take log u will get

[tex]logy= x^2+\frac{log sinx}{2} - 3log(2x+3)[/tex]

and now differentiate u will get the desired result

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?