1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation question

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Define f(0,0)=0 and [tex]f(x,y)=\frac{x^{3}}{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex] if (x,y)!=(0,0)
    Let [tex]\gamma[/tex] be a differentiable mapping of R1 into R2, with [tex]\gamma(0)=(0,0)\;and\; |\gamma'(0)>0|[/tex]. Put [tex]g(t)=f(\gamma(t))[/tex] and prove that g is differentiable for every t in R1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not having a strong understanding of differentiation of vector functions yet, so I'm not really sure if my proof is valid, check it please. Thanks!
    f(x,y) is not differentiable at (0,0) so chain rule fails. If [tex]lim_{t->0} \frac{g(t)}{t} exists[/tex](since g(0)=0), it's done.
    [tex]\frac{g(t)}{t}=\frac{f(\gamma(t))}{t}=\frac{\gamma^{3}_{1}(t)}{t(\gamma^{2}_{1}(t)+\gamma^{2}_{2}(t))}[/tex]. when t approaches zero, the denominator is not zero since [tex] |\gamma'(0)|>0[/tex], the numerator can be applied the mean value theorem and becomes [tex]\gamma^{3}_{1}(t)-\gamma^{3}_{1}(0)=3\gamma^{2}_{1}(0)\gamma'_{1}(0)t=0\;since\;\gamma_{1}(0)=0[/tex]. So g'(0) exists and equals to 0.

Thanks a lot!

actually...I'm a little more confident with it now
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2
    okay now. Is this proof right?
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?