1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation - slopes

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the slope of the curve [itex]y=\frac{x}{3x+2} [/itex] at the point x = -2.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x_{0} + h) - f(x_{0})}{h} = m
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    If x = -2, then y = 1/2. I'm not sure what to do from here.

This is the first step, but I don't get how you obtain this:
    [tex]
    \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{\frac{-2+h}{3(-2+h)+2}-\frac{1}{2}}{h}
    [/tex]

I just need an explanation of what we're doing here and why?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This would be very difficult to get from the definition of a limit. You probably have something called the quotient rule that will help greatly

4. Oct 25, 2009 #3
    The differentiation rules aren't introduced for another one and a half chapters in my text book. This part is introducing a definition to the slope of a curve. It says:

The slope of a curve C at a point P is the slope of the tangent line to C at P if such a tangent line exists. In particular, the slope of the graph of y = f(x) at the point x0 is
    [tex]
    \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x_{0} + h) - f(x_{0})}{h} = m[/tex]

And after this definition, it gives the example that I posted. I have the answer, just don't understand any of it :(

5. Oct 25, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

This can be done with some algebraic manipulation. Let your first term in the numerator be [tex]\frac{-2+h}{3h-4}[/tex] and get the second term of 1/2 into that same form so that you can take [tex]3h-4[/tex] under the denominator of the whole and go from there.

6. Oct 25, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]f(x)= \frac{x}{3x+ 2}[/tex]
    so [tex]f(x_0+h)= \frac{x_0+h}{3(x_0+h)+ 2}= \frac{x_0+h}{3x_0+3h+2}[/tex]

[tex]f(x_0+h)- f(x_0)= \frac{x_0+h}{3(x_0+h)+ 2}= \frac{x_0+h}{3x_0+3h+2}- \frac{x}{3x+ 2}[/tex]

The "common denominator" is [itex](3x_0+ 2)(3x_0+ 3h+ 2)[/itex]. Multiplying numerator and denominator of the first fraction by [itex]3x_0+ 2[/itex] and the numerator and denominator of the second fraction by [itex]3x_0+ 3h+ 2[/itex],

[tex]\frac{(x_0+h)(3x_0+ 2)}{(3x_0+ 3h+ 2)(3x_0+ 2)}- \frac{(x_0)(3x_0+ 3h+ 2)}{(3x_0+ 3h+ 2)(3x_0+ 2)}[/tex]

Multiply out the products in the numerators. You can leave the denominators as they are:
    [tex]\frac{3x_0^2+ 2x_0+ 3hx_0+ 2h}{(3x_0+ 3h+ 2)(3x_0+ 2)}- \frac{3x_0^2+ 3hx_0+ 2x_0}{(3x_0+ 3h+ 2)(3x_0+ 2)}[/tex]

Now you see that the "[itex]3x_0^2[/itex]", "[itex]3hx_0[/itex]", and "[itex]2x_0[/itex]" terms cancel leaving
    [tex]\frac{2h}{(3x_0+ 3h+ 2)(3x_0+ 2)}[/tex]

That is [itex]f(x_0+ h)- f(x_0)[/itex]. To form the "difference quotient" divide by h:
    [tex]\frac{f(x_0+ h)- f(x_0)}{h}= \frac{2h}{h(3x_0+ 3h+ 2)(3x_0+ 2)}= \frac{2}{(3x_0+ 3h+ 2)(3x_0+ 2)}[/tex].

Finally, take the limit as h goes to 0. Since setting h to 0 does not make the denominator 0, you can do that simply by setting h= 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook