Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation Techniques

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1
    Hey all-

I typed up this little cheat sheet to help me with my learning of derivatives so I though someone else might want to use it for reference. I plan to add to it some examples as well as log and e rules. I will keep you updated if there is any interest in those as well.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2
    If you need a cheat sheat to remember that the derivative of a constant is zero, you should work on understanding the concept of a derivative better.
  4. Aug 5, 2008 #3
    Clearly, the point of including that rule is for the sake of a complete list.
  5. Aug 5, 2008 #4
    Not a bad list but hopefully people can actually prove everything on there before just applying it. Admittedly after working a decent number of examples, nothing really needs to be memorized. Also I would put the "extended power rule" after the chain rule ;).
  6. Aug 5, 2008 #5
    That may be a good thing to show (the proofs). I plan to build a little tutorial on derivs. I will post it when I am done.
  7. Aug 5, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. May 9, 2011 #7
    Maybe the easiest and most useful formulas are the ones that say that the derivative is linear:
    (f + g)'(a) = f'(a) + g'(a)\\ (cf)'(a) = c f'(a)

Combined with the formula (xn)' = n xn-1, we see that every polynomial function has a derivative at any point.

Example. For P(x) = 1-2x + 3x4 -5 x6, we have
    P'(x) = -2 + 12 x^3 - 30 x^5
  9. May 10, 2011 #8
    This may be a bit picky, but if your the type who likes lists (like in the original post), you might find it much easier to remember (and nicer to look at) writing them in Lagrange notation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted