Integrating Trigonometric Functions and Evaluating Second Derivatives

In summary, The student is trying to solve a homework equation but is having difficulty getting the answer. They make a mistake at the first step of finding the equation's f' and need to follow my advice and use the product rule to find the equation's f''.
justinis123

Homework Statement

Let f (x) =int(x,0) x sin(t^2)dt. Show that f''(x)= 2 sin(x^2) + 2x2 cos(x^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't get f''(x)= 2 sin(x^2) + 2x2 cos(x^2), i can only get f''(x)= sin(x^2) + 2x2 cos(x^2).
Because f'(x)=xsin(x^2). can anyone see the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
justinis123 said:

Homework Statement

Let f (x) =int(x,0) x sin(t^2)dt. Show that f''(x)= 2 sin(x^2) + 2x^2 cos(x^2)

1. Since the integral is with respect to "t" then you can take the factor of "x" out the front of the integral.

2. You should now be able to use the product rule and the fundamental Thm of calculus to get the answer without ever actually evaluating the integral.

BTW. I assumed that by "2x2" you actually meant 2x^2".

Last edited:
justinis123 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't get f''(x)= 2 sin(x^2) + 2x2 cos(x^2), i can only get f''(x)= sin(x^2) + 2x2 cos(x^2).
Because f'(x)=xsin(x^2). can anyone see the problem?

Yes that is the problem right there. See above about using the product rule to find f'.

Hi uart
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that was a typo. It should be 2x^2 as you assumed.
what do u mean by using product rule to find f' ?
f'(x)=xsin(x^2), then using product rule to find f''(x)=sin(x^2) + 2x^2 cos(x^2).
Could you please show me how to find f'(x)? I am a bit confused.
thanks

justinis123 said:
Hi uart
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that was a typo. It should be 2x^2 as you assumed.
what do u mean by using product rule to find f' ?
f'(x)=xsin(x^2), then using product rule to find f''(x)=sin(x^2) + 2x^2 cos(x^2).
Could you please show me how to find f'(x)? I am a bit confused.
thanks

You're making your mistake at the first step in finding f'. You need to use the product rule to find f' (and then again to find f''). Re-read my first post about taking the "x" out the front of the original integral before you even start, this is the key.

BTW. The expression for f' that you obtained would be correct if the integrand was t sin(t^2) dt but it' not. It's x sin(t^2)dt. So you have to re think your original approach and follow my advice.

Thanks , i see the problem. I fixed the issue and got the right answer.

1. What is differentiation of an integral?

Differentiation of an integral is a mathematical process where the derivative of a function is found by taking the limit of the difference quotient of the function's integral.

2. Why do we differentiate integrals?

We differentiate integrals to find the slope of a curve at a given point, to determine the rate of change of a quantity, or to solve optimization problems.

3. How do you differentiate an integral?

To differentiate an integral, apply the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule depending on the form of the integral. Then, take the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the independent variable approaches zero.

4. Can all integrals be differentiated?

No, not all integrals can be differentiated. Some integrals may not have a closed-form solution or may require advanced techniques such as integration by parts or substitution.

5. What is the relationship between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other. The derivative of an integral is the original function, and the integral of a derivative is the original function plus a constant. This relationship is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.