How Do You Calculate the Net Charge in a Nonuniformly Charged Spherical Shell?

• Thread starter PFStudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a nonconducting spherical shell with nonuniformly spread charge density and asks for the net charge in the shell. The conversation delves into various equations and approaches to solve the problem, eventually using integral calculus to correctly derive the answer. The final answer is 38 nC.
PFStudent

Homework Statement

19. A nonconducting spherical shell, with an inner radius of 4.0 cm and an outer radius of 6.0 cm, has charge spread nonuniformly through its volume between its inner and outer surfaces. The volume charge density [itex]\rho[/itex] is the charge per unit volume, with the unit coulomb per cubic meter. For this shell [itex]\rho = b/r[/itex], where r is the distance in meters from the center of the shell and b = 3.0 [itex]\mu C/m^2[/itex]. What is the net charge in the shell.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\vec{F}_{12} = \frac{k_{e}q_{1}q_{2}}{{r_{12}}^2}\hat{r}_{21}
[/tex]

[tex]
|\vec{F}_{12}| = \frac{k_{e}|q_{1}||q_{2}|}{{r_{12}}^2}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is unlike most problems I have solved before so I am not sure if my approach is correct.

From what was given in the problem I conclude the following equations.

V = Volume
A = Area

[tex]
\rho = \frac{q}{V}
[/tex]

[tex]
\rho = \frac{b}{r}
[/tex]

[tex]
b = \frac{q}{A}
[/tex]

Though, the problem mentions that the charge has spread nonuniformly through its volume between its inner and outer surfaces of the spheres.

I am unsure as to how I am supposed to use that to solve the problem.

I assume I can treat the inner and outer spheres: [itex]sphere_{1}[/itex] and [itex]sphere_{2}[/itex]; separately and use the previous equations to come up with,

[tex]
\rho_{1} = \frac{q_{1}}{V_{1}}
[/tex]

[tex]
\rho_{2} = \frac{q_{2}}{V_{2}}
[/tex]

Volume of a sphere is,

[tex]
V = \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3
[/tex]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[tex]
q_{1} = \left(\frac{4}{3} \pi r_{1}^3\right)\left(\frac{b}{r_{1}}\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
sig. fig. \equiv 2
[/tex]

[tex]
q_{1} = 20 nC
[/tex]

[tex]
q_{2} = \left(\frac{4}{3} \pi r_{2}^3\right)\left(\frac{b}{r_{2}}\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
sig. fig. \equiv 2
[/tex]

[tex]
q_{2} = 45 nC
[/tex]

Although, the answers, [itex]q_{1} = 20 nC[/itex] [itex]q_{2} = 45 nC[/itex]. Are somewhat close to the book answer, they’re wrong. And because the problem asks for the net charge in the shell, I thought maybe I could take the average of these two figures and get the right answer, however (though it was close) it was still the wrong answer for the net charge in the shell.

Yea, so I am stuck on how to find the net charge in the shell.

Any help would be appreciated.

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PFStudent said:
Though, the problem mentions that the charge has spread nonuniformly through its volume between its inner and outer surfaces of the spheres.

I am unsure as to how I am supposed to use that to solve the problem.

I assume I can treat the inner and outer spheres: [itex]sphere_{1}[/itex] and [itex]sphere_{2}[/itex]; separately and use the previous equations to come up with,

No. When you say

[tex] \rho = \frac{q}{V} [/tex]

notice that [itex]\rho[/tex] changes as a function of r ([itex]\rho=\frac{b}{r}[/itex]). So, you can't just find the total charge as [tex]\rho_{r_2} V_{r_2}[/tex], because then you're assuming that [tex]\rho[/tex] is constant for the whole volume inside, which is not true.

However, for an infinitesimally (ie, infinitely small) thin spherical shell of thickness dr at a distance of r from the center, what's the charge? Since the shell is infinitesimally thin, it's ok to assume that the charge density remains constant in this extremely small region. Now, add up the charges of all such infinitesimal shells from the inner to the outer radius.

Are you familiar with integral calculus?

Last edited:
siddharth said:
No. When you say

[tex] \rho = \frac{q}{V} [/tex]

notice that [itex]\rho[/tex] changes as a function of r ([itex]\rho=\frac{b}{r}[/itex]). So, you can't just find the total charge as [tex]\rho_{r_2} V_{r_2}[/tex], because then you're assuming that [tex]\rho[/tex] is constant for the whole volume inside, which is not true.

Hey,

Thanks for the information.

Ok, so then,

[tex]
q + C= \int dq
[/tex]

And for this problem,

[tex]
q = \int_{r_{1}}^{r_{2}} dq
[/tex]

[tex]
\rho = \frac{q}{V}
[/tex]

[tex]
\rho = \frac{b}{r}
[/tex]

Which is the same thing as,

[tex]
\rho(r) = \frac{b}{r}
[/tex]

For now assume [itex]\rho[/itex] is constant, and so therefore,

[tex]
\overline{\rho} = \frac{\Delta q}{\Delta V}
[/tex]

S.A. = Surface Area of Sphere

[tex]
\overline{\rho} = \frac{\Delta q}{S.A.\Delta r}
[/tex]

[tex]
\overline{\rho}(r) = \frac{\Delta q}{S.A.(r)\Delta r}
[/tex]

[tex]
(4\pi r^2)\overline{\rho}(r) = \frac{\Delta q}{\Delta r}
[/tex]

[tex]
\lim_{\Delta r\rightarrow 0} (4\pi r^2)\overline{\rho}(r) = \lim_{\Delta r\rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta q}{\Delta r}
[/tex]

[tex]
4\pi r^2{\rho}(r) = \frac{dq}{dr}
[/tex]

[tex]
4\pi r^2 \left(\frac{b}{r}\right)dr = dq
[/tex]

[tex]
4\pi rbdr = dq
[/tex]

[tex]
dq = 4\pi brdr
[/tex]

[tex]
\int_{r_{1}}^{r_{2}} dq = 4\pi b\int_{r_{1}}^{r_{2}}rdr
[/tex]

[tex]
q = 2\pi b \left[r^2\right]_{r_{1}}^{r_{2}}
[/tex]

[tex]
q = 2\pi b \left(r_{2}^2-r_{1}^2\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
sig. fig. \equiv 2
[/tex]

[tex]
q = 3.8{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}x{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}10^{-8}{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}C
[/tex]

[tex]
q = 38{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}nC
[/tex]

Ok, I got the right answer however, I want to know if I derived the answer mathematically correct.

For example is, [itex]S.A.(r)\Delta r = \Delta V[/itex]?

This reason, I ask is because if you let [itex]\Delta r[/itex] = r

Then you have,

[tex]
S.A.(r)r = V
[/tex]

[tex]
(4 \pi r^2)r \neq \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3
[/tex]

[tex]
4 \pi r^3 \neq \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3
[/tex]

So how does that work?

-PFStudent

Last edited:

What is a "Difficult Charge Problem"?

A "Difficult Charge Problem" refers to a complex or challenging situation that involves the calculation and management of electric charges, usually in the context of a physics or chemistry problem.

What are some common examples of "Difficult Charge Problems"?

Some common examples of "Difficult Charge Problems" include calculating the electric field and potential of a charged particle or system, determining the force between two charged objects, and analyzing the motion of charged particles in an electric field.

What are the main principles involved in solving "Difficult Charge Problems"?

The main principles involved in solving "Difficult Charge Problems" include understanding the fundamental laws of electricity and magnetism, such as Coulomb's Law and Gauss's Law, and utilizing mathematical techniques such as vector calculus and algebraic manipulation.

What are some strategies for approaching "Difficult Charge Problems"?

Some strategies for approaching "Difficult Charge Problems" include breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable parts, drawing diagrams to visualize the problem, and utilizing symmetries and conservation laws to simplify the calculations.

Why are "Difficult Charge Problems" important in science?

"Difficult Charge Problems" are important in science because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of electrically charged systems, which is crucial in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They also help us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in various areas of science and beyond.