Difficult differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses using Lagrange to solve a problem, resulting in two differential equations. The equations involve parameters such as mass, displacement, and gravity, and the speaker expresses uncertainty about how to proceed and requests more information in order to solve the problem.
TheTank

Homework Statement

I used Lagrange to solve a problem and ended up with two differential equations

Homework Equations

[tex]m_2x''+(k-m_2 {\theta '}^2)x=k(L_o+L_2/2)+m_2 g cos{\theta}[/tex]

and

[tex](I_1 +1_2 +m_2 x^2) {\theta}'' +2m_2 \cdot x \cdot x' \theta ' +(m_1 L_1/2 +m_2 x)g sin\theta =0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea of how to proceed now.. It doesn't seem that Wolfram Alpha can solve for two differential equations..
Any help at all will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you post the full problem rather than simply referring to the stage of the problem you have reached. That way we will know more about where you are and where you want to get to. Without the full problem statement it becomes much more difficult to help you.

1. What is a difficult differential equation?

A difficult differential equation is a mathematical expression that involves derivatives of a function and is challenging to solve. It may involve complex functions, high-order derivatives, or non-linear relationships.

2. Why are differential equations difficult to solve?

Differential equations can be difficult to solve because they often involve complicated mathematical operations and require advanced techniques such as integration, differentiation, and substitution. Additionally, they may not have a closed-form solution and require numerical methods to approximate the solution.

3. What are some common techniques for solving difficult differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving difficult differential equations include separation of variables, integrating factors, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

4. How can I approach a difficult differential equation problem?

The best approach to solving difficult differential equations is to first identify the type of equation (i.e., linear, non-linear, homogeneous, etc.) and then apply appropriate techniques to simplify the equation. It is also helpful to break the problem down into smaller steps and use algebraic manipulations to transform the equation into a more manageable form.

5. What are some real-world applications of difficult differential equations?

Difficult differential equations have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are commonly used to model and understand complex systems, such as the motion of a pendulum, the spread of diseases, and the behavior of financial markets.