Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult double integral

1. Nov 15, 2013 #1
    Here is the beast
    [tex]\iint_{(ax+\mu _{1})^{2}+(bx+cy+\mu _{2})^{2}\leqslant z}\frac{1}{2\pi \sigma ^{2}}e^{-(\frac{1}{2\sigma ^{2}})(x^{2}+y^{2})}dxdy[/tex]

The integral gives the C.D.F. of [itex](ax+\mu _{1})^{2}+(bx+cy+\mu _{2})^{2}\leqslant z[/itex] where [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are identically distributed gaussian random variables with zero mean and unit variance.

The integrand can be easily evaluated with polar coordinates over the less complex domain [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}\leqslant z[/itex] (In this case it becomes chi-square with two degrees of freedom). I am quite certain however that over the ellipse-shaped domain that I require, there is no analytical solution. On the other hand it would greatly speed up the numerical solution if I could just get rid of one of the integrals and/or solve in terms of approximate functions like ERF and Bessel of the first kind.

Any ideas? Anyone seen anything similar to this before?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

Use coordinates matching the boundaries:
    x'=ax+m1 and y'=bx+cy+m2
    This will likely make your work easier.

4. Feb 4, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply maajdl,

I altered the coordinates in this way as you suggested before and I didn't feel any closer to a solution, the integrand became a massive long mess and I couldn't simplify it. If I find my notes I will post it up (took me a while to re-arrange it).

I think for now I will admit defeat on this. It doesn't take so long to evaluate numerically for its purpose.

Thanks again,
    Jeff

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook