Solving Difficult Equation: x = \sqrt{1- \frac{1}{x} } + \sqrt{x-\frac{1}{x}}

• Thread starter dirk_mec1
  • Start date
In summary, after attempting various methods such as substitution, squaring, completing the square, and using calculus techniques, the conversation concludes that the method of translating the equation and finding its relative extrema is the best approach to solving the given problem. This method involves substituting x = u + 1/2 and solving the resulting polynomial equation, which ultimately yields the solution of x = ±√(5/4).
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

Find all real x satisfying:

[tex]
x = \sqrt{1- \frac{1}{x} } + \sqrt{x-\frac{1}{x}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried numerous things (substitution, squaring, completing a square) but I can't figure it out. Can someone give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
x-sqrt(x-1/x)=sqrt(1-1/x)
x^2-2xsqrt(x-1/x)+x-1/x=1-1/x
x^2+x-1=2xsqrt(x-1/x)
x^4+x^2+1+2x^3-2x^2-2x=4x^3-4x
x^4-2x^3-x^2+2x+1=0
x^2(x^2-2x-1)+2x+1=0
The only way to prove this is by using a method of solving a 4th degree equation, check it in mathworld.

Yes but you do not have to use the full machinery of the quartic, because your
x^4-2x^3-x^2+2x+1=0 (if that is right)

is a 'reciprocal equation' (if x is a root, 1/x is too) I think.
Divide by x^2, and express as a quadratic in z, z = (x + 1/x), you can solve that and thence solve in the original x.

I don't think its reciprocal because a4 = a1 but a3= -a2. I suspect that a smart substitution is the key.

dirk_mec1 said:
I don't think its reciprocal because a4 = a1 but a3= -a2. I suspect that a smart substitution is the key.

You're right. I think take out x^2 like I said but z = (x - 1/x) ?

No, also doesn't work. Note that this is an exercise that should be doable by high school students. So using the quartic formula is out of the question.

I got the same polynomial equation that LQG got. Not sure of how to solve it without the quartic formula, but here are some thoughts. Note that the only possible rational roots are [itex]x=\pm 1[/itex]. Since neither of those work there are no rational roots. Since this is a polynomial equation with rational coefficients, irrational roots must occur in conjuguate pairs.

I got it. I considered the function [itex]f(x)=x^4-2x^3-x^2+2x+1[/itex] and proceeded to find it's relative extrema. Since *I* took calculus in high school I figured this was acceptable. :tongue: I did this in the hopes that the graph has no x-intercepts. What I found instead is that one of the critical numbers of [itex]f(x)[/itex] is actually a root of [itex]f(x)[/itex]. Once you have one (irrational) root, you get its conjugate for free. And once you have 2 roots of a quartic you have defeated it, because you have reduced the problem to factoring a quadratic.

Try to follow my steps and see if you can't get it.

I think you can do it my suggested way because I have now done it, and the result also agrees with what you say about there being two double roots.

dirk_mec1 said:
I suspect that a smart substitution is the key.

You suspected rightly: let [itex]x=u+1/2[/itex]. I came across that by noticing that the function [itex]f(x)=x^4-2x^3-x^2+2x+1[/itex] has its relative minima at [itex]x=(1\pm\sqrt{5}/2[/itex] and a relative maximum right smack in the middle of them at [itex]x=1/2[/itex]. That means the function is symmetric about the line [itex]x=1/2[/itex].

I'd be surprised if more than 1% of high school students could get this!

If I use [itex]x = u +\frac{1}{2} [/itex] I get something nasty:

[tex] (u-\frac{1}{2})^{3/2} - \sqrt{u - \frac{1}{2}} = \sqrt{u^2+u-\frac{3}{4}}[/tex]

Are you sure that's the right substitution?

You don't substitute [itex]x=u+\frac{1}{2}[/itex] into the original equation, you sub it into the polynomial equation that we derived from it:

[tex]x^4-2x^3-x^2+2x+1=0[/tex]

It works out very nicely!

I cheated and used MATLAB :tongue:

and got: [tex] \frac{1}{16}(4u^2-5)^2 =0[/tex]

Does this agrees with what you found?

Yes, that agrees with what I got. If you can't see what the substitution should be then try to generate the graph of the function using Calculus I techniques (that's what I did). If [itex]x=a[/itex] is an axis of symmetry of the graph of [itex]y=f(x)[/itex] then [itex]u=x-a[/itex] is a good substitution. I saw that the graph of the function [itex]f(x)=x^4-2x^3-x^2+2x+1[/itex] has the line [itex]x=\frac{1}{2}[/itex] as its axis of symmetry, so presto. The graph is attached for your viewing pleasure. :tongue:

Attachments

• Maple Plot.jpeg
    Maple Plot.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 364
Thanks for your help, Tom.

But Tom, the method of translating the equation is similar to the one of finding the roots of the general equation:
x^4+ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0

is it not?

loop quantum gravity said:
But Tom, the method of translating the equation is similar to the one of finding the roots of the general equation:
x^4+ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0

is it not?

Yes it is. (One of the ways of solving the quartic, to transform it into a reciprocal equation.) So you were sure you were going to get a solution that way, but on the way you get lucky in this case and it works out simpler than it usually would.

The way I proposed above was suggested by its resemblance :blushing: to a reciprocal equation, and the substitution z = (x - 1/x) gives you (z - 1)2 = 0 , and finally the same solution as everybody else.

Last edited:

What does the equation represent?

The equation represents a mathematical problem where the unknown value is represented by x. The equation involves square roots and fractions, making it a difficult equation to solve.

Why is it difficult to solve?

The equation is difficult to solve because it involves two square roots and a fraction, making it a complex mathematical problem. Additionally, the unknown value is present in both the numerator and denominator of the fraction, making it challenging to isolate and solve for x.

What are some possible approaches to solving this equation?

There are several approaches that can be used to solve this equation. One approach is to square both sides of the equation, which can help eliminate the square roots. Another approach is to simplify the equation by combining like terms and manipulating the fraction. Additionally, using a graphing calculator or numerical methods can also help find an approximate solution.

What are the potential solutions to this equation?

There are two potential solutions to this equation, which can be found by solving for x using the various approaches mentioned previously. These solutions may be real numbers, complex numbers, or even imaginary numbers depending on the values present in the equation.

Why is it important to solve difficult equations?

Solving difficult equations is important in various fields of science and mathematics, as it allows us to understand and analyze complex systems and phenomena. In the case of this particular equation, finding its solutions can help us better understand the relationship between different mathematical operations and ultimately improve our problem-solving skills.