Solve Complicated Equation: K1=tan(K2*x)/tan(K3*x)

• Thread starter twowheelsbg
  • Start date
In summary, a person in the conversation is looking for a free software that can solve a complicated equation involving the coefficients K1, K2, and K3. They mention trying to use Microsoft Excel's "Goal Seek" feature but it did not work for them. Another person suggests using a freeware called WxMaxima to solve the equation numerically. The original person also shares a trick they used to make the "Goal Seek" feature work for their equation. However, they still plan on checking out the suggested freeware.
twowheelsbg
Hi all,

I have a complicated equatation :
K1=tan(K2*x)/tan(K3*x)

since i can not solve it for 'x',
i tried using the Microsoft Exell feature : Tools --> Gool Seek ,
but this method does not work for some values for the coeficients.

Could someone provide link to free software,
solving that kind of equation by approximation ?

p.s. i saw this section of the forum is not for such questions, so
mods may move my subject if deemed necessery

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Search for WxMaxima...its freeware and very powerful

There's no algebraic way to solve for x; any solution of that would have to be done numerically. I'm guessing that in most cases there isn't a unique solution, either.

Thanks, guys!

I managed to trick the MS Exell by substitution 'x' with another variable,
which is dependent of the coefficient and times per 'x', so the ms exell 'goal search' increment
now works fine without jumping over the right solution.

Anyhow I will check the freeware mentioned.

Regards

1. How do I solve the complicated equation K1=tan(K2*x)/tan(K3*x)?

To solve this equation, you will need to isolate the variable x on one side of the equation. First, multiply both sides by tan(K3*x) to get rid of the denominator. Then, divide both sides by K2 to get x by itself. The final solution will be x = K1*tan(K3*x)/K2.

2. Can this equation be simplified?

Yes, this equation can be simplified by using the trigonometric identity tan(x)/tan(y) = tan(x-y). Therefore, the equation can be rewritten as K1=tan(K2-K3)*x. This may make it easier to solve depending on the context of the problem.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of K1, K2, and K3?

Yes, since tangent is undefined for certain values, there are restrictions on the values of K1, K2, and K3. Specifically, K2 and K3 cannot be equal to multiples of pi/2, as this would result in a division by zero error.

4. How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your solution is correct. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the value of x that you solved for.

5. Is this equation commonly used in any particular field of science?

This equation may be used in fields that involve trigonometry and calculus, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It may also be used in fields that involve modeling and analyzing complex systems, such as economics or biology.