1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult Equation

1. May 26, 2009 #1
    hey all,

a friend gave me this equation and required that i solve it:

http://www.geocities.com/mazen_zone/Untitled.jpg

I could only solve it graphically and the answer was (x = 4),
    so i wonder if there is an algebraic solution for it ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2009 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I don't think there is any way to solve it algebraically.

With such equations, it's easy to create them, while terribly annoying to solve without calculators to solve it numerically for you. I think your friend may have caused you a headache for laughs :wink:

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  4. May 26, 2009 #3
    lol yeah i guess...thanks anyway.

5. May 26, 2009 #4
    log it, make sqrt(x) the subject, square both sides, and I think that would give you a quadratic which is easy to solve.

edit: Sorry I just realized that's a dumb idea. Yeah, I don't think there's any way to solve it analytically.

6. May 26, 2009 #5
    Anyway, not with log and all. Since you have a sum of the two, the log would not apply in that sense.

Cheers

7. May 26, 2009 #6
    Calculators use Newton's method to solve equations (including this type of equations of course)
    maybe that's the only analytic way to solve it, but i don't know how to use this method :smile:

8. May 26, 2009 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Algebraically" is a vague term. It is easy to see that if there is a rational answer then it must actually be integral, and in fact x is a square. This leads you to try 1,4 and get the answer (almost) immediately.

If there isn't such a nice easy to spot idea, then the solution is almost certainly going to be nasty, transcendental and impossible to write down in any nice way, so don't bother to try.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook