Difficult equilibrium question

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of SO3(g) from the reaction of O2(g) and SO2(g) in a 2.0L container. It is stated that 8.0 moles of O2(g) and 10.0 moles of SO2(g) are mixed together and at equilibrium, 3.0 moles/L of SO3(g) remain. The question asks for the new equilibrium concentrations of the gases after 1.0 mol/L of SO2(g) is removed. The rice table method is suggested to solve this problem.
dnartS
8.0 mole of O2(g) is mixed with 10.0 moles of SO2(g) in a 2.0L container forming SO3(g). If 3.0 moles/L of SO3(g) remains at equilibrium. 1.0 mol/L of SO2(g) is removed from the equilibrium, calculate the new eq'm [ ]'s.So I make the rice table

3O2(g) + SO2(g) <--> 2SO3(g)
r 3 ... : ... 1 ... : 2
4.0M ... 5.0M ... 0M (shift right)
c -3x ... -3x ... +2x
e 4.0 -3x ... 5.0-3x ... 2xwhat do I do now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Guise I need help on this homework question please, it's really bothering me and I am stuck.

What were the concentrations of all gases before SO2 was removed? Can you calculate them from the stoichiometry? After they are calculated - can you use them to calculate equilibrium constant?

--
methods

1. What is "difficult equilibrium"?

"Difficult equilibrium" refers to a situation in which opposing forces or factors are evenly balanced, making it challenging to achieve a desired outcome or maintain stability.

2. How is "difficult equilibrium" different from regular equilibrium?

Regular equilibrium refers to a state of balance or stability that is relatively easy to maintain, whereas difficult equilibrium involves a delicate balance that is harder to achieve and maintain.

3. What are some examples of "difficult equilibrium" in science?

Some examples of "difficult equilibrium" in science include maintaining homeostasis in a living organism, achieving a stable climate system on Earth, and balancing the delicate biochemical reactions in the human body.

4. How do scientists study and understand "difficult equilibrium"?

Scientists use various methods such as mathematical models, experiments, and observations to study and understand the factors that contribute to difficult equilibrium. They also analyze the effects of disrupting this equilibrium and how it can be restored.

5. Why is understanding "difficult equilibrium" important?

Understanding difficult equilibrium is crucial because it helps us make informed decisions and take appropriate actions to maintain balance and stability in various systems. It also allows us to predict and prepare for potential disruptions to these systems.