Mastering Free Body Diagrams: Tips and Tricks for Difficult Homework Problems

In summary, the conversation includes a student asking for help with drawing free body diagrams for three problems. They are advised to read their textbook and study examples, and are reminded to show their work. The student mentions that their book is not helpful and asks for advice, and is told to draw member ABC and reaction forces at points A and B. They are also reminded not to draw anything at point D and to draw the 400 N force at point C.
megr_ftw

Homework Statement

Here is pictures of some of the mechanisms I draw the free body diagrams for
vcvcv.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]E[/tex]F= 0
[tex]E[/tex]M= 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to even begin on the first problem other than drawing the force from the hand of 400 N.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, megr_ftw. Read your textbook, and study the example problems, and this will show you how to get started. You must show your work; and then someone might check your math.

my book isn't very good with example such as the ones above. I just need help getting started, I am not asking anyone to solve all 3 of them, just some advice.

Hint: Draw member ABC. Then draw reaction forces acting on member ABC in the x and y directions at the supports (points A and B).

draw nothing for C or D?

Draw nothing for D. Draw the 400 N force at C.

1. What are Free Body Diagrams?

Free body diagrams are visual representations used in physics to show the forces acting on an object. They help to simplify complex systems and understand the motion of an object.

2. Why are Free Body Diagrams difficult?

Free body diagrams can be difficult because they require a solid understanding of physics principles and the ability to identify and draw all the forces acting on an object. Additionally, real-world situations may involve multiple forces and make the diagram more complex.

3. How do I create a Free Body Diagram?

To create a free body diagram, you must first identify the object of interest and all the forces acting on it. Then, draw a simple diagram of the object and label each force with an arrow pointing in the direction of the force. Finally, double check that all forces are accounted for and properly labeled.

4. What is the purpose of using Free Body Diagrams?

The purpose of using free body diagrams is to understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. These diagrams help to simplify complex systems and make it easier to analyze and solve physics problems.

5. How can I improve my skills in drawing Difficult Free Body Diagrams?

Improving your skills in drawing difficult free body diagrams requires practice and a solid understanding of physics principles. It can also be helpful to break down complex systems into smaller parts and draw separate diagrams for each part before combining them into one overall diagram.