1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult Functional Equation

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose we define an absolute value on the rationals to be a function f: Q -> Q satisfying:
    [itex]a(x) \geq 0[/itex] for all x in Q and [itex]a(x) = 0 \Leftrightarrow x = 0[/itex]
    [itex]a(xy) = a(x)a(y)[/itex] for all x,y in Q
    [itex]a(x + y) \leq a(x) + a(y)[/itex] for all x,y in Q

Determine all such functions and prove they are the only ones that exist.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    All right this is by far the hardest problem on my analysis pset. Obviously the usual absolute value (typical metric used on the reals) satisfies this and so does a trivial one where you set a(x) = 1 for x =/= 0 and a(0) = 0. I had suspected that the p-adic absolute value also satisfies this mainly because I've seen the metric before when I studied basic topology.

I think I figured out the proof for the case that forces the function described in the problem statement to be the p-adic absolute value:

Suppose [itex]a(n) \leq 1[/itex] for each natural number n. If our absolute value is not the trivial one, we can stipulate the existence of some n such that a(n) < 1. By well-ordering, choose the smallest such n and call it p. Now p must be prime, since otherwise p = xy and a(p) = a(x)a(y) < 1 which implies a(x) < 1 and a(y) < 1, contrary to our choice of p as the least natural number n satisfying a(n) < 1. If q is a prime distinct from p, then we claim a(q) = 1. Suppose a(q) < 1. Then for sufficiently large N, [itex]a(q^N) = [a(q)]^N < 1/2[/itex] and similarly for sufficiently large M, [itex]a(p^M) < 1/2.[/itex] Since gcd(q^N, p^M) = 1, there exist integers s and t such that [itex]sp^M + tq^N = 1.[/itex] But then

[tex]1 = a(sp^M + tq^N) \leq a(sp^M) + a(tq^N) \leq a(s)a(p^M) + a(t)a(q^N) < 1/2 + 1/2 = 1, [/tex]

which is a contradiction (we assumed a(1) = 1, but this has to follow from a(xy) = a(x)(ay) because otherwise a(1*n) = a(1)a(n) = 0 for each natural number n). Thus a(q) = 1, and due to uniqueness of prime factorization, we can write a(n) = a(p)^M.

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble showing that the usual absolute value is also implied (presumably by the case a(n) > 1 for all natural n). Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't really looked at your work but just a quick note, you can't have a(n) > 1 for all n because a(1) = a(1)*a(1) implies a(1) = 1 or 0, But a(1) > 0 so you know a(1) = 1. Also 1 = a(1) = a(-1*-1) = a(-1)*a(-1) implies a(-1) = 1 by a similar argument.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook