What Functions Satisfy This Absolute Value Definition on the Rationals?

• Thread starter snipez90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, the problem at hand is to determine all functions that satisfy the given conditions for an absolute value on the rationals. The usual absolute value and a trivial one are two examples that meet the requirements. It is also suspected that the p-adic absolute value may satisfy the conditions. A proof is provided for the case that forces the function to be the p-adic absolute value. However, there is difficulty in proving that the usual absolute value is also implied.
snipez90

Homework Statement

Suppose we define an absolute value on the rationals to be a function f: Q -> Q satisfying:
[itex]a(x) \geq 0[/itex] for all x in Q and [itex]a(x) = 0 \Leftrightarrow x = 0[/itex]
[itex]a(xy) = a(x)a(y)[/itex] for all x,y in Q
[itex]a(x + y) \leq a(x) + a(y)[/itex] for all x,y in Q

Determine all such functions and prove they are the only ones that exist.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All right this is by far the hardest problem on my analysis pset. Obviously the usual absolute value (typical metric used on the reals) satisfies this and so does a trivial one where you set a(x) = 1 for x =/= 0 and a(0) = 0. I had suspected that the p-adic absolute value also satisfies this mainly because I've seen the metric before when I studied basic topology.

I think I figured out the proof for the case that forces the function described in the problem statement to be the p-adic absolute value:

Suppose [itex]a(n) \leq 1[/itex] for each natural number n. If our absolute value is not the trivial one, we can stipulate the existence of some n such that a(n) < 1. By well-ordering, choose the smallest such n and call it p. Now p must be prime, since otherwise p = xy and a(p) = a(x)a(y) < 1 which implies a(x) < 1 and a(y) < 1, contrary to our choice of p as the least natural number n satisfying a(n) < 1. If q is a prime distinct from p, then we claim a(q) = 1. Suppose a(q) < 1. Then for sufficiently large N, [itex]a(q^N) = [a(q)]^N < 1/2[/itex] and similarly for sufficiently large M, [itex]a(p^M) < 1/2.[/itex] Since gcd(q^N, p^M) = 1, there exist integers s and t such that [itex]sp^M + tq^N = 1.[/itex] But then

[tex]1 = a(sp^M + tq^N) \leq a(sp^M) + a(tq^N) \leq a(s)a(p^M) + a(t)a(q^N) < 1/2 + 1/2 = 1, [/tex]

which is a contradiction (we assumed a(1) = 1, but this has to follow from a(xy) = a(x)(ay) because otherwise a(1*n) = a(1)a(n) = 0 for each natural number n). Thus a(q) = 1, and due to uniqueness of prime factorization, we can write a(n) = a(p)^M.

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble showing that the usual absolute value is also implied (presumably by the case a(n) > 1 for all natural n). Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't really looked at your work but just a quick note, you can't have a(n) > 1 for all n because a(1) = a(1)*a(1) implies a(1) = 1 or 0, But a(1) > 0 so you know a(1) = 1. Also 1 = a(1) = a(-1*-1) = a(-1)*a(-1) implies a(-1) = 1 by a similar argument.

1. What is a difficult functional equation?

A difficult functional equation is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given equation. These equations can be challenging because they often involve complicated mathematical operations and may have multiple solutions.

2. What makes a functional equation difficult?

A functional equation can be considered difficult if it does not have a straightforward solution or if it involves complex operations such as differentiation or integration. These equations can also be difficult if they have more than one unknown function or if they have multiple solutions that need to be considered.

3. How do you solve a difficult functional equation?

The approach to solving a difficult functional equation varies depending on the specific problem. In general, there are several strategies that can be used, such as substitution, iteration, or using known properties of certain functions. It may also be necessary to use advanced mathematical techniques, such as complex analysis or differential equations, to find a solution.

4. What are some real-life applications of difficult functional equations?

Difficult functional equations have various applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to model complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. They can also be used in optimization problems to find the most efficient solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving difficult functional equations?

Some tips for solving difficult functional equations include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, using symmetry and other properties of the equation to simplify it, and experimenting with different approaches. It can also be helpful to consult with other mathematicians or refer to textbooks and online resources for guidance.