1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult general relativity problem - Weyl's axisymmetric solution

1. Apr 23, 2013 #1
    I'm currently doing a course on general relativity, and I'm struggling with the following exercise - I would greatly appreciate the help anyone might offer. Whilst not technically homework (not assessed or in a tutorial set) it is from a collection of difficult questions from a recommended resource. It is as follows:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Weyl's solution to the field equations in a vacuum has that

$$ ds^{2} = e^{2U}dt^{2} -e^{-2U}(r^{2}d\phi ^{2} + e^{2V}(dr^{2} +dz^2)) $$ $$ where \; \; U=U(r,z),\; V=V(r,z); $$

and the field equations reduce to Laplace's equation in cylindrical coordinates, that being

$$ \nabla^{2}U = U_{,rr} + r^{-1}U_{,r} + U_{,zz}=0, $$

as given U we can find V by integration:

$$ V_{,r}=r((U_{,r})^{2}-(U_{,z})^2)\;, \; \; \; V_{,z}=2rU_{,r}U_{,z} \;. $$

This suggests a way of generating solutions to the Einstein Fields equations: Laplace's
    equation is linear, so just add arbitrary (axially symmetric) solutions of it to get U
    and then find V .

(a) Why is the Weyl metric static?

(b) Explain why adding a constant to either (or both) U and V is geometrically
    (and hence physically) irrelevant.

(c) If $$U\equiv 0 $$ we clearly have flat space. Show that if $$U = V$$ we also have flat space. [Hint: perhaps we might change coordinates (something about hyperbolic trig functions and rapidity?)] This suggests generating GR solutions from Newtonian ones will not be as easy as it seems.

(d)The simplest non-trivial solution to Laplace's equation is the (spherically symmetric) potential of a point particle: $$U=-\frac{m}{\sqrt{r^{2}+z^{2}}}$$. Show this is a solution to $$\nabla^{2}U=0$$, find the corresponding V and explain why the metric is asymptotically flat.

(e) The solution is part (d) is known as the Curzon-Chazy solution. Prove it is not Schwarzschild and so not spherically symmetric. (Thus once again demonstrating that the Newtonian solution and the Einsteinian solutions are not simply related.)

*Nota bene c=1 here.

2. Relevant equations
    See question statement

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've struggled a bit, there's some obvious substitution work in here verifying things are solutions but I'm not very confident with the rest of the material.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?