1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult homotopy question

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(i) Let [tex] A= (I\times I)/J[/tex] be the identification space of the unit square in which all points in the subspace [tex]J=(I\times \left\{1\right\})\cup(\left\{0,1\right\}\times I)[/tex] are identified. Use the circles [tex] C_t=\left\{(x,y)\in D^2|(x-t)^2+y^2=(1-t)^2 , t\in I\right\} [/tex] to construct a homeomorphism [tex] f:A \rightarrow D^2 [/tex] such that [tex] f[s,0]=(\cos 2\pi s,\sin 2\pi s), f[J]=(1,0),f[I\times \left\{t\right\}]=C_t [/tex]

(ii) Regard [tex]S^1[/tex] as the identification space of I in which the points [tex] \left\{ 0,1 \right\} [/tex] are identified via the homeomorphism [tex] I/{\lef\t{ 0,1 \right\} } \rightarrow S^1 ; \rightarrow (\cos2 \pi s, \sin 2\pi s) [/tex]. Use (i) to prove that a based loop [tex] \omega: (S^1,(1,0)) \rightarrow (X,x) [/tex] is homotopic rel{(1,0)} to the constant based loop [tex] e_x: (S^1,(1,0) \rightarrow (X,x) [/tex] if and only if [tex] \omega [/tex] extends to a based map [tex] \Omega : (D^2,(1,0)) \rightarrow (X,x) [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) The space A is the square with 3 sides identified to a point. The suggested homeomorphism maps the remaining side to the circle [tex] S^1 [/tex] and all other horizontal lines to circles centred at (t,0). Choose [tex] f[s,t] = (1-t)(\cos2 \pi s +t,\sin2\pi s) [/tex]. This satisfies the first and third of the conditions required in (i), but I'm not sure about the second. I'm not sure if the question requires a proof that this is a homeomorphism.

(ii) I'm not sure about this part. Homeomorphic spaces are automatically homotopy equivalent. We can consider a loop [tex] \omega[/tex] as a function [tex] \alpha (t) = \omega (\cos 2\pi t, \sin 2 \pi t), \alpha (0) = \alpha(1) =x) [/tex] since the loop is based at x. So I think if I show that it has to extend to a map on the space A given above then it automatically has to extend to a map on the disk.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2
    Can no-one help with this one? I'm wondering what they mean by saying that the map "extends" to the disk. The homotopy given by considering the loop as a line with equal end-points is a map on the (identification space of) square, which I might try to relate to the disk in (i) through homeomorphism.
  4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    Looks like that is exactly what you should try. "Extends" means that there is a continuous map of pointed spaces [tex]\Omega: (D^2, (1, 0)) \to (X, x))[/tex] such that [tex]\Omega[/tex] restricts to [tex]\omega[/tex] on [tex]S^1[/tex]: [tex]\Omega|_{S^1} = \omega[/tex].
  5. Feb 24, 2010 #4
    Your map does not satisfy the second condition in part (i): J contains the points (s,1) for all s, and your map takes all of these to (0,0). I think you are on the right track though. But you will need to show that this is a homeomorphism to answer the question fully.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook