1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult integral

1. Jul 22, 2009 #1
    How can I calculate the integral of sin(x^2) from zero to infinity? Do I need to use the residue theorem?
    I need a detailed answer, because i'm very new in this subject.
    I don't even know where to start.
    Thanks for any kind of help :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I solved it, but I don't know what your level of calculus is so if this is too hard.

First I extended the integral to -infinity to infinity and wrote it as*
    [tex]\int \sin(x^2) \, \mathrm dx = \operatorname{Im} \int e^{i x^2} \, \mathrm dx[/tex].
    I happen to know that
    [tex]\int e^{- a x^2} \, \mathrm dx = \sqrt{ \frac{\pi}{a} }[/tex]
    if Re(a) > 0, and that the limit Re(a) -> 0 is well-defined.

Combining all that allowed me to solve the integral, eventually I got
    [tex]\frac12 \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex].

* All integrations are over [itex]]-\infty, \infty[[/itex] unless otherwise specified

4. Jul 22, 2009 #3
    Okay, thanks.
    I've got 2 questions: Any chance I can solve this problom with the residue theorem?
    I know that i can write sin(x^2) like this:x^2 - x^6/3! + x^10/5! - x^14/7!...
    But then what?
    And i can't see clearly enough the text you wrote. Do I need some kind of program in order to view your solution?

5. Jul 22, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Yes you can use the residue theorem to solve this integral. Use the contour shown in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_integral#Error_function.

Hint: start with the function [itex]e^{iz^2}[/itex] and evaluate it along the different parts of the contour.

[quote='Gina88]And i can't see clearly enough the text you wrote. Do I need some kind of program in order to view your solution? [/quote]

Are you using internet explorer by any chance, perhaps an outdated version? If so installing Firefox should solve the display issues.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook