Integrating Difficult Integral: Help Needed

• Thread starter perishingtardi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult integral that needs to be solved. The problem is transformed using a substitution and integration by parts, and it is reduced to finding the integral of $\frac{\sin x}{x}$. The conversation also touches upon the difference between questions asked on this forum and those asked on the homework forums.
perishingtardi
Mod note: Moved from the math technical sections.
I need to show that
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\sin^2 (pa/\hbar)}{p^2} \, dp = \frac{\pi a}{\hbar}.[/tex]
I haven't got a clue how to integrate this function! Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've found through the transformation [itex]u=pa/\hbar[/itex] that it is equivalent to showing
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^2 u}{u^2}\,du = \pi,[/tex] if that helps anyone.

You've got your substitution and your integral.

All you have to do is figure out p and dp in terms of u and du.

The algebra is really simple.

SteamKing said:
You've got your substitution and your integral.

All you have to do is figure out p and dp in terms of u and du.

The algebra is really simple.

Yeah I did that substitution myself to make it easier... now how do I show that the integral is equal to pi??

Using the cosine of double angle formula, and then integration by parts, this can be reduced to integrals of $$ \frac {\sin x} {x} $$

Likes 1 person
Under a change of variable x = pa/h:

[tex]\frac{\hbar}{a}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{sin^2 x}{x^2}dx[/tex]

As suggested you can apply integration by parts and then sine double angle rule to obtain

[tex]\frac{\hbar}{a}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{sin(2x)}{x}dx[/tex]

The integral below has many different proofs, few of them are here
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{sin(ωx)}{x}dx=\pi[/tex] for any ω > 0.

OFF-TOPIC:

Can someone tell me what is the difference between a question asked here and a question asked on the homework forums?

This is an honest question. For example, shouldn't this question ("Difficult integral") be in the homework section?

Sorry for the off topic perishingtardi

Crake,
You are correct. As the sticky says at the top of this forum section, "This forum is not for homework or any textbook-style questions."

I am moving this thread to the Homework section.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why are some integrals considered "difficult"?

Some integrals are considered difficult because they cannot be easily solved using basic integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. These integrals often involve complex functions or require advanced techniques to solve.

3. What are some strategies for integrating difficult integrals?

Some strategies for integrating difficult integrals include using special integration techniques such as trigonometric identities, partial fractions, or numerical methods. It may also be helpful to break the integral into smaller parts or use software programs to assist with the computation.

4. How can I know if I have solved an integral correctly?

To ensure that you have solved an integral correctly, you can check your solution by taking the derivative of your answer. If the derivative matches the original function, then your solution is correct.

5. Can integrals be used in real-world applications?

Yes, integrals are used in many real-world applications such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate quantities such as distance, velocity, force, and probability. Integrals are also used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and machine learning.