How do I integrate a difficult integral with integration by parts?

• Thread starter sara_87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: Note: This conversation has been shortened and edited for clarity.In summary, the conversation was about evaluating an integral and trying different methods to solve it, including integration by parts and trigonometric substitution. The final solution required using the hypergeometric 2F1 function.
sara_87

Homework Statement

I need to evaluate the integral:

[tex]\int^a_b \frac{(x^{-c})'}{(a^2-x^2)^(1-c)} dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

(x-c)' means the derivative with respect to x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use integration by parts:

let u=(a2-x2)c-1 so u'=(c-1)(a2-x2)c-2(-2x)
and v'=(x-c)' so v=x-c

the integral is then:

[tex]\left[uv\right]^a_b+\int^a_b\frac{2(c-1)(a^2-x^2)^{c-2}}{x^{c-1}}dx[/tex]

I can evaluate the uv part but i am struggling to integrate
[tex]\int^a_b\frac{2(c-1)(a^2-x^2)^{c-2}}{x^{c-1}}dx[/tex]
any help would be very much appreciated. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not try trig substitution, x/a=sin(y), you'll get something of the sort of:
cos^(2(c-2)+1)(y)/sin^(c-1)(y) dy (with some factors), now repeat integration by parts by v'=cos(y)/sin^(c-1)(y) u=cos^(2(c-1))(y), repeat this process until you get an integral with an integrand cos(y)/sin^(c-n)(y) which is easy to compute.

At first I though you could simplify the problem by bringing the (1 - c) factor out of the integrand, but then I discovered that (1 - c) is an exponent, not a factor.
Your LaTeX was very well done except for that part. For exponents in LaTeX expressions, surround them with braces -{}- instead of parentheses, in all cases where the exponent is more than a single character.

Here's the revised integral.
[tex]\int^a_b \frac{(x^{-c})'}{(a^2-x^2)^{1-c}} dx[/tex]

One thing: If you set v'=x^-c; then v=x^1-c/(1-c)

blake knight said:
Good tip.

thanks all, i will try now to integrate it using your advice. mark44, you're right, i did make a mistake in Latex, it should be ^(1-c) thanks.

blake knight said:

thanks, so, would this be substitution or is this part of the integration by parts?

This is going to be a part of the integration by parts.

sara_87 said:
thanks, so, would this be substitution or is this part of the integration by parts?

This is going to be a part of integration by parts.

so then u would be:
[tex]\frac{1}{(a^2-x^2)^{1-c}}[/tex]
??
i don't think, since in the numerator, we have: (x-c)' what happens to the derivative?
i think I am confused

Remember this? : 3. The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use integration by parts:

let u=(a2-x2)c-1 so u'=(c-1)(a2-x2)c-2(-2x)
and v'=(x-c)' so v=x-c

I just replace your v=x^-c by v=x^1-c/1-c.

yes but you said that i should use v'=x^(-c) not v'=[x^(-c)]'
?

blake knight said:
I just replace your v=x^-c by v=x^1-c/1-c.

what then do i do with the derivative part?

You will arrive at having: = [(x^1-c/1-c)*(a^2-x^2)^c-1] - [integral of (x^1-c/1-c)*(-2x)(c-1)(a^2-x^2)^c-2 dx]--->continue from here.

but when we have an integral, and we want to use integration by parts, say:
[tex]\int f(x)g(x)[/tex]
then u=f(x) and v'=g(x)

here my f(x)=(x-c)'
and g(x)=(a2-x2)c-1

so we said that u=(a2-x2)c-1
and so our v' must be (x-c)'
so why are we taking v'=(x-c)
am i wrong?

Oh I see what you are getting now : I thought there is a small 1 there in v'=(x^-c)^1 which of course is just equal to v'=(x^-c).

oh i see what you mean too. no that's not a 1 it's a derivative, that's what i meant when i said 'what do i do with the derivative'.
:)
but i tried to do it using the advice from MathematicalPhysicist (the first reply)
but i am not getting
cos^(2(c-2)+1)(y)/sin^(c-1)(y) dy (with some factors)
as he/she mentioned
instead, i am getting:
2(c-1)(a)^(b-2)(1-sin(y))^(c-2)cos(y) dy
??

Im a little bit confused too, I know we are going too far now...but its a little bit strange to me when you have a derivative sign for your v', like v'=(x^-c)' and have a dx at the end of the integral, Isnt it repeating? I've never seen an equation of this form before. I maybe wrong.

i put v'=(x^-c)' just to get rid of the derivative but not getting very far.
it is a difficult integral, the solution contains the hypergeometric 2F1
but I am trying to solve this integral...and its a pain.

sara_87 said:
i put v'=(x^-c)' just to get rid of the derivative but not getting very far.
it is a difficult integral, the solution contains the hypergeometric 2F1
but I am trying to solve this integral...and its a pain.

Ok so then you'll agree that if v'=(x^-c)' then v=(x^1-c)/1-c<----which is what I suggested before...Only that after Integrating by parts youll end up having an Integrand susceptible for Integration by parts again, and to infinity. This case happens due to the fact that we have a variable as an exponent. The equation can be solve by setting c not equal to zero and setting a and b to infinite.

if v'=(x^-c)' then v=(x^-c)
but i am now using the method suggested by MathematicalPhysicist (the first reply) and finally i am getting: cos^(2(c-2)+1)(y)/sin^(c-1)(y) dy but I am still doing the integration by parts to try and get the integrand (cosy)/((siny)^(c-n))

but how would this lead to the hypergeometric 2F1

MathematicalPhysicist said:
repeat this process until you get an integral with an integrand cos(y)/sin^(c-n)(y) which is easy to compute.

I am not getting cos(y) on its own, it's always to some power in terms of c.

1. What is difficult integration?

Difficult integration refers to the process of finding the antiderivative or integral of a function that cannot be easily solved using basic integration techniques. It often involves complex mathematical concepts and multiple steps to solve.

2. What are some common techniques for solving difficult integrals?

Some common techniques for solving difficult integrals include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. These techniques require a good understanding of basic integration rules and the ability to manipulate equations.

3. Why is difficult integration important in science?

Difficult integration is important in science because many real-world problems and physical phenomena can be modeled using complex functions that require difficult integration to solve. This allows scientists to accurately analyze and predict outcomes in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can difficult integration be solved using software or calculators?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that have built-in algorithms for solving difficult integrals. However, it is still important for scientists to have a good understanding of basic integration techniques and the ability to check the solutions provided by these tools.

5. What are some tips for solving difficult integrals?

Some tips for solving difficult integrals include breaking the integral into smaller parts, using symmetry or trigonometric identities to simplify the expression, and practicing regularly to become familiar with different techniques. It is also helpful to check your solutions using differentiation and to seek assistance from a tutor or colleague if needed.