Difficult IQ Test - Answer 20 Questions and Reach 94th Percentile

• Thread starter Pseudopod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq Test
In summary, this IQ test is very difficult and fun to take. I got a 94th percentile on it, answering 13 of the 20 questions correctly.
Pseudopod
Difficult "IQ" test

This is a very interesting IQ test. You are basically ranked against all the others who also took the test. There are 20 questions total, but it calculates your percentile as you go. I answered all 20 this afternoon and got 94th percentile, answering 13 of the 20 questions correctly.

I found some of the questions to be MUCH more difficult than normal IQ tests so it was very fun to take.

http://www.mental-testing.com/

If anyone knows how to correctly do #6 (Amelia Earhart problem) please let me know! I thought I did it correctly but it said I gave the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did this a while ago. I got the wrong answer for the Earhart problem (they are not numbered the same on different tests) but then I figured it out: Two planes fly side by side for 1/3 tank, then transfer 1/3 tank and 1 flies back while other flies on. At appropriate time 1 starts flying out to meet Earhart, at distance of 1/3 tank. Again it transfers 1/3 tank and both fly back. So the distance is 1/3 tank (beginning) + full tank + 1/3 tank (end) = 24000. x is the distance of a full tank so 5/3 x = 24000 and x = 14400.

Ah of course! Very smart bicycletree!

A commuter drives to work 16 miles. Due to traffic, the commuter averages 30 miles per hour on the first 8 miles of the drive. How fast must the commuter go on average on the second half to average 40 miles per hour for the entire drive?

How is this NOT 50?

How is this NOT 50?

Because:

t1 - time for first half
t2 - time for second half
v1-speed for first half
v2-speed for second half

v1=s/(2*t1)
v2=s/(2*t2)

from s/(t1+t2)=40 one can obtain t2, and find that v2=60.

Two components, first half is 30, second half is x.
What is x so the two avg to 40

(30+x)/2 = 40
30+x = 80
x = 50

I don't see why I'm wrong on half of those, but then again I'm doing them in my head. I still don't get why the method in the post above doesn't work

You can't just find their arithmetic mean.

[tex] v_{average}=\frac{\Delta s}{\Delta t}=\frac{s}{t_1+t_2} [/tex]

The firs 10 or so questions I ran into were vocabulary questions of words which I have never heard... I had one math problem then 5 or so more vocabulary questions... Not much of a "IQ" test :grumpy:

1. What is an IQ test?

An IQ test is a standardized assessment designed to measure a person's cognitive abilities, including problem-solving, reasoning, and critical thinking skills.

2. How is an IQ test scored?

IQ test scores are calculated by comparing an individual's performance on the test to a standardized group of test-takers. The average score is set at 100, with scores above 100 indicating above-average intelligence and scores below 100 indicating below-average intelligence.

3. What does reaching the 94th percentile mean?

The 94th percentile means that the individual scored higher than 94% of the norm group, indicating a high level of intelligence compared to others who took the same test.

4. What are some common types of questions on an IQ test?

Some common types of questions on an IQ test include verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning, spatial reasoning, and abstract reasoning. These questions may involve solving puzzles, identifying patterns, and completing analogies.

5. Is an IQ test an accurate measure of intelligence?

IQ tests are considered to be a reliable indicator of general intelligence, but they do not measure all aspects of intelligence. Other factors, such as creativity and emotional intelligence, may also play a role in overall intelligence.